• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting levels

mark4785

Are there any available articles that explain the 'wattage per gallon' principle? I'm looking to set-up a planted aquarium with a mid-level light intensity. The aquarium will be 60cm in length, 30cm in width and 50cm in height and will hold around 120litres of water.

I'd ideally like to know how much wattage of lighting I'd need in this aquarium to achieve a mid-light level.

foxfish said:
LEDs seem to work but are still expensive compared to the tried & trusted 2 x T5 the length of you tank = simple :)

I will inevitably be picking some form of light, but I was wondering how people determine how a given tank as high, medium or low light levels. I've just come across the answer to this in another thread.

Thanks for your input nevertheless.

Mark.

OK then you know that plants adapt to the offered light - too much light spells algae - not enough spells slow growth - just right spells a matched source of Co2 + fertilisers & 2x t5 the length of the tank :D
It is possible to grow plants successfully with low light or high light but you need to get the other parameters right especially if you keep fish.
Strong light requires strong co2 & fish are not so keen as plants on that arrangement!
C02 is the most important thing to get right, not just the way you introduce the gas but how long you can keep it in your tank & where is goes inside your tank!

foxfish said:
OK then you know that plants adapt to the offered light - too much light spells algae - not enough spells slow growth - just right spells a matched source of Co2 + fertilisers & 2x t5 the length of the tank :D
It is possible to grow plants successfully with low light or high light but you need to get the other parameters right especially if you keep fish.
Strong light requires strong co2 & fish are not so keen as plants on that arrangement!
C02 is the most important thing to get right, not just the way you introduce the gas but how long you can keep it in your tank & where is goes inside your tank!

I know that successful plant growth isn't just about the light level variable, but I'm concerned that the T5 bulbs I have will produce too much PAR and that their placement (only 10cm above water level) will mean extremely high light levels. I think to begin with I'd prefer to have some knowledge that tells me how high or low my light levels are so that I am able to make appropriate changes if needed. If for instance, I found I have very high light levels reaching the plants, I would not be comfortable, as a novice starting out with this variable since any problems with co2 circulation under those lighting conditions will cause an algae out break much quicker.

I currently have an Arcadia 24w T5 (55cm) original tropical grow bulb and an Arcadia 24w T5 (55cm) plant grow bulb situated 10cm above water level encased in the lighting unit which has white interal walls (this will serve as a reflector I presume).

Is there any data on the internet stating the PAR output of these lights? Anything above 40 micromols per square cm per second, per bulb, situated specifically 12cm above water level is considered high light according to one source i'm reading.

Back