• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting novice - need some advice

SmallestFrog

I have recently had a catastrophe and my arcadia ellipse light decided to take a swim. Not my fault, cheap plastic broke. For those of you that may have seen me mention this today, know that I may never forgive Arcadia for the poor quality plastic!!

Anyway...

I'm on a low budget, but luckily only looking to have low light plants, don't care if they grow slowly providing they do, and above all want to be able to see my fish as the room they are in is always dark.

But there is a problem as I have no tank hood for either of my tanks. I have a 60cm tank and a 75 cm tank. Luminaires (excuse spelling) seem to be way out of my lowly teaching assistant salary's price range. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Re: the arcadia light, I have the bulb and the power supply, and that works fine despite the swim, just no way of mounting. The other tank has no light at all with it.

Hi all,
Have a look at the 3 x 14W Boyu luminaire, they are about £35. I've got the 3 x 8W unit and I've been very pleased with it. Try searching on Ebay for "14W T5" in "pet supplies > fish > lighting", and a few UK sellers should come up.

cheers Darrel

just a heads up on the 3x14w boyu jobbie.

finding 22" 14w t5 bulbs is hard work! normally at that size they're 24w bulbs so nothing of the shelf fits.

Hi all,
finding 22" 14w t5 bulbs is hard work! normally at that size they're 24w bulbs so nothing of the shelf fits.
That is useful to know, I'm surprised, I've never tried to buy them from Homebase etc., but they are the 549mm? that was a standard size for under-cabinet lighting "Slimline T5 14W White Under Cabinet Fluorescent Light", and I used to be able to buy "865 daylight" tubes from Lampspecs, BLT etc without any problem for about £3.00 each.

If they are getting difficult to source I may need to buy some spare tubes, as I've used in all sorts of small grow-light fittings for the glasshouse.

cheers Darrel

Back