• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting times

nphsmith

Guys, I'm struggling to get a lighting regime I'm happy with (Only after a oouple of days). I have a Maxspect Razor 160 W, which has oodles of power, and I'm running it at a max of 60%. I have a 20" deep tank. The Razor can have 6 time spots, with 2 adjustable channels, one with more blue, one less.

My main query is about times, though. Like most people, I guess, I get up about 7 during the week, leave at 7.45am and get home 5.30-6.00pm. My instinct to mimic nature (and this may come from my reef background) is to have it at a fairly low light morning and evening, peaking to max brightness at noon-2pm. Which I guess is good for the plants, but means that during the week it's not so good for me, as in the morning I see it at little more than moonlight levels, and in the evening I see it at dusk going to moonlight levels.

Any way round this dilemma? Or am I wrong about what's good for the plants? I know old books suggest a 2-hour break in middle of day to cut down algae. Is that still good pratice? What times do you guys run lights?

The plants don't care . Fish will appreciate a slow ramp up / down though. Its your tank, have the lights on to suit you.

The daybreak is for people who didn't manage CO2 right. Should not be necessary. Like mentioned before, plants don't care. They need about 5 hours a day of light, the rest is for you. Fish don't need much more than ambient light, everything brighter is for you. You can ramp up the light from 15:00 if you want, peaking when you're home and going down till 22:00 no problem. A little ambient light before 15:00 is no problem. Direct sunlight is. Have fun!

I used to have my lights set around me. On at 7.30am off at 12pm, then on again at 5pm til 9.30pm.

Now I just have them come on at 2.50pm, ramping up over 50 minutes, off at 9.20pm, ramping down for the same 50 minutes. Allows viewing all evening. If it's a weekend and i'm up later i'll often leave lights at 1 or 2% as long as i'm up so I can still view the dimly tank til I go to bed :)

Oh, and a follow-up question. Say I have my lights on very low (1%) at 7am, and essentially keep them till 3pm when I bump them up, should I start CO2 dosing at 6am (An hour before technical lights on), or 2pm (An hour before strong lights on)?

Many thanks for your time.

Hello,

why would you want to have the lights come on for most of the time when you are not there?

My tank lights start to come on from 16:00 or 17:00 (i have a few aquariums) and they go off around 23:00

On one tank I have a Maxspext 120w over a 60cm long TMC signiature. It hits max 60% at the mid point, otherwise it is essentially ramping up from 1% to 60% and then back down again to 1%

Oh if only I could ramp up and Down :'( I may have to start maxspect fund.

Oh if only I could ramp up and Down :'( I may have to start maxspect fund.
indeed. Its something that I am weirdly excited about- flexible led lighting. Looking like tmc aquaray and controller.

Crazy thing is I have some tmc lighting but nowhere near enough for our tank:( I just seem to collect things I don't need Or that are inadequate:D

Oh, and a follow-up question. Say I have my lights on very low (1%) at 7am, and essentially keep them till 3pm when I bump them up, should I start CO2 dosing at 6am (An hour before technical lights on), or 2pm (An hour before strong lights on)?

Many thanks for your time.

When the light is very low, you won't need CO2 yet. I have the same situation, the first 2 hours I ramp up from 1% to 10%. The PAR level is still quite low at this time. After those two hours it ramps up faster and I start injecting CO2. But when light hits a certain PAR, you need to make sure your CO2 is high enough. Hard to tell for your lights though, whether it is already at 1% or 3% or 30%.

Back