• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Little fish - really teeny tiny, iclke munchkin fellas

James O

Am looking for small fish for a 40cm cube

I already have:

Celestial pearl danios - 20mm
Ember tetras - 15-20mm
Pseudomugil gertrudae (rainbowfish) - 30mm
Normans lampeye - 30mm
Scarlet Badis - 13-20mm

So what other fabulous munchkins are there out there? Sticking closer to 20mm ideally :D

Oof! That's small :confused:

Hi all,
Corydoras hastatus
or C. pygmaeus. Corydoras hastatus are really cute, but hard to find (both at the LFS and in the tank).

Another favourite of mine is Trichopsis pumila, although the males are quite agressive to one another, and they aren't easy to sex.

A left-field suggestion would be some of the smaller Killi's. I'm very tempted by Diapteron fulgens.

cheers Darrel

Scarlet Badis - 13-20mm
I would like to try them, but they will eat all the shrimp they find, isn't it?

I've got these ones, absolutely beautiful fish. Quite interactive between them (much more than some very popular and boring tetra) with dominant males in deep orange. Very shy with other fish in the tank if not kept in large groups.

Another favourite of mine is Trichopsis pumila
That's also another one I'd really like but again, they will eat all the shrimplets for sure

My suggestion are: a quite common but beautiful one (Paracheirodon simulans) and another little fish I love, Danio erythromicron.

Jordi

Haha I forgot I have some of the pygmaeus!!! They were out in force a few minuets ago but before that I was wondering if they were still alive!

I had to take Trichopsis pumila back as they harassed everything else and demolished my amazon frogbit.

I like the tiny killi Diapteron fulgens

microdevario kubotai look great but I've read they are little terrorists :lol:

My Badis and sparkling gourami never had access to anything smaller than Amano's so can't help in the prawn snacking issue ;)

I'm considering boraras brigittae for my new tank, should look great in a shoal of 20 or so, I've also seen microdevario kubotai, are they really aggressive? And how shrimp safe are either of these guys? Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack, but perhaps the answers to these questions will help you James. I hope you don't mind.

Danionella Sp. Would be the ultimate nano fish if you find it!
I had them previously but cannot find the, anywhere after years of searching.
If anyone can find these for sale i will be eternally greatfull.

I'm considering boraras brigittae for my new tank, should look great in a shoal of 20 or so, I've also seen microdevario kubotai, are they really aggressive? And how shrimp safe are either of these guys? Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack, but perhaps the answers to these questions will help you James. I hope you don't mind.

Hi.I found the Kubotai to be serial jumpers.Kept them in school of 20, in a 60cm tank.Constant squabbles as the weaker ones were slowly picked off one by one.

Oh :( I really like them but I feel very strongly about having a 100% peaceful tank, not even chasing. I want my tank to be a calm and tranquil place not a battle ground.

I believe so. Whys that mate?

Finding females is really hard. My LFS just had 100 delivered - all male. Had a chat with Colin Dunlop about this a while ago and he's had batches of very young fish that are pretty much unsexable as far as he's concerned and they've still turned out to be 99% male. So either the collectors are minutely examining every fish to stop females getting into the trade (which seems odd for a relatively inexpensive fish), or there's something really out of whack with the sex ratio determination in the collection populations.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Finding females is really hard. My LFS just had 100 delivered - all male. Had a chat with Colin Dunlop about this a while ago and he's had batches of very young fish that are pretty much unsexable as far as he's concerned and they've still turned out to be 99% male.
That is interesting, I wonder if this is a temperature issue, rather like with some cichlids and reptiles (Crocodilians) etc.

I'm not sure about Badidae, but they are also perciforme fish (looking at some aquaculture papers it looks like Sea Bass show this effect, and that is another perciforme fish like Dario and Apistogramma) so it may be a possibility.

In Apistogramma you can manipulate the sex ratio with temperature, about 27oC usually gets both sexes. I've never bothered (there isn't much of a market for them locally and I don't have enough spare tanks) but if you keep the fry at higher temperatures (~30oC) you get nearly all males, and at ~23oC nearly all females. If you want pairs just split the fry 50:50 at either temperature.

cheers Darrel

Yeah it's a possibility. Haven't read enough Badis/Dario breeding reports to see if anyone has noticed a temperature effect on sex determination. I wonder if they're still definitely all wild caught or if someone is breeding them out east.

A more worrying alternative would be pollution induced sex bias (I think paper mill runoff and a few other things have now been shown to potentially induce skewed ratios) but that's all getting a bit speculative.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Mmmmm stripy little beggars

Back