• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

love rams ,hmmm hard water

quaders

Seedling
Im so tempted to buy some rams ( not golden or electric blue) but I live in a hard water area so is this a no go situation or are any of you guys having success with them in hard watero_O

Hi mate,
Im the same LOVE rams and bred them but find them VERY hard to keep due to my water :(
Both German blue rams and Electric blue rams do NOT do well, Im lucky to get them live past 2 weeks :(
How ever Bolivian rams ive found to be more hardy and lived fine in my tanks very well, Try these??
Otherwise try and locate a breeder who has managed to breed and raise them in harder water, you might have better luck then ;)

Hi Danny,
Thanks mate. I have kept Bolivian rams in the past but their just not the same. Rams are like Discus I guess, frustrating!:mad:
My LFS say that theirs are kept in normal tap water , maybe I should give them ago ,at the moment I have rummy nose tets and cardinals which have been in the tank for some time now and they seem fine.:)

Hi mate,
Yeah just give them a whirl, maybe just buy 1 or 2 at first and then improve your collection if you have better luck keeping them.
Ive personally tried alot of different methods to improve my keeping of them but nothing has worked yet :(

I am breeders here in Indonesia..

I am currently breeding german blue rams on hard water, TDS 660..

Maybe I'll post some pics on this few days..

As long the water is free from polluted agent, I think it will be fine..

Remember, the most important things is aclimatisation

Thanks for the info would love to see some pics, interesting that your managing to breed them in hard water,maybe theres hope for me yet!

We have had Bolivians for nearly four years, same wild cought, some captive bred and both have had wigglers (till tetras find them...). Tap water EC 450-530uS (tank has been 850uS sometimes, nowadays with RO 300-350uS), GH 3-5, KH 2-4, so I personally cant call them sensitive. Originally we had 9, but have lost two because of Camallanus infection, luckily the rest made it fine. One didint grow well and was culled later. Thou, we have never tried to grow fry in separated tank so no idea how succesful or not that would be in our nasty water.

IMG-20140130-00616.jpg

IMG-20140130-00617.jpg

IMG-20140130-00619.jpg

IMG-20140130-00615.jpg

IMG-20140130-00614.jpg

Thats my ramirezi @660 micro siemens TDS..

If you know some importers thats looking for it, I currently exporting this fish :)

Back