• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MC Mountains - 12g long

Hello, this is my 12g long bookshelf tank, currently in dry start format, I will hopefully flood within the next few weeks.

Fire bookshelf tank. 90cm Length x 25cm Height x 21cm Depth in 8mm low iron clear glass.
Light - Up Aqua Z LED
Hardscape - Seiryu stone
Plants - Monte Carlo, Hair Grass, Dwarf HG, Mini Pellia, and Fissidens
Substrate - Recycled the Aquasoil from the last scape.

MC-Mountains-29-July-2016c.jpg

The twigs of driftwood are just placed in at the moment, I need to stick them to longer sticks to anchor them into the soil, mite try stick some moss to them.

MC-Mountains-29-July-2016b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I can never find that type of stone where I am (Paisley/Glasgow)

I am all the way over in Australia, we seem to have a lot of it, not sure if its imported or what tho. Ive removed all the twigs I just felt they made the scape a bit messy, I also moved all the regular hair grass to the right behind the rocks

Some of the wood with moss on at base of rocks giving a old roots feel towards substrate?I agree nice rocks

Drilled the top of my stand today, made the holes about 4cm should be able to squeeze double taps through for ease of cleaning etc, edging closer to flooding, just need my pipes to turn up from Hong kong! Mite get a little more DHG to speed up the carpeting of the back left cnr... any ideas on how fast this stuff spreads?

Moved all the regular HG to the right behind the rocks, I will keep the left side low.

MC-Mountains-30-July-2016a.jpg

MC-Mountains-30-July-2016.jpg

Nice! I can never find that type of stone where I am (Paisley/Glasgow)

Hey! Try Fishkeeper Scotland in Coatbridge (Maidenhead aquatics). If they don't have any in justnow, there'll be some on the way from Unipac.

Cracking bookshelf tank, look forward to seeing how the DSM goes! :)

Cheers

Hey! Try Fishkeeper Scotland in Coatbridge (Maidenhead aquatics). If they don't have any in justnow, there'll be some on the way from Unipac.

Cracking bookshelf tank, look forward to seeing how the DSM goes! :)

Cheers

Cheers! Tried a few times there and the one at braehead Glasgow, but I must be missing them :(

Day 70ish of DSM... waiting on my glass pipes I ordered of ebay, will flood as soon as they get here!

MC-Mountains-07-08-2016.jpg

Flooded this tank today, everything is looking good, flow seems good as I have a skimmer down one end. The Up aqua inline diffuser seems to work well the tank is full of co2 / o2 bubbles, this is what it looks like as of this evening! Only issue i had was the ISTA check valve had a leak so i am just relying on the bubble counter to stop back flow... will get a decent check valve ASAP!

MC-Mountains-14-08-2016.jpg

Picked up some tissue culture plants today, which are pretty rare in Western Australia, we have crazy laws around importing flora and fauna, some of the tightest if not tightest in the world so it was nice to see a wide range of tissue culture plants at one of the better aquarium stores in Perth. As I am keeping planting fairly simple in this tank I only picked up some helferi and a bit more DHG

TC-Plants.jpg

Here is a iphone photo after I planted the new hair grass, tank seems to be growing in nicely and is already cycled as I used re-cycled soil and a canister filter from a pervious setup. I added about 8 native "Dawrin" algae eating shrimp, I will probably add about 15 more, the dont really breed in these conditions but seem very happy.

MC-Mountains-20-08-2016.jpg

Updated FTS, really captured the tank pearling away at the end of the lighting period

28613497313_2f9262b63c_k.jpgMC-Mountains 3ft Bookshelf by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Also took a video which can be seen here:

Attachments

• MC-Mountains-1280px.jpg
    MC-Mountains-1280px.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 28613497313_2f9262b63c_k.jpg
    28613497313_2f9262b63c_k.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 130
    1 MB · Views: 125
    1 MB · Views: 122
    1 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Took the black background away and added some LED lighting, mainly because I have been running co2 at 0.5 bps for 24/7 and the bubbles really stand out on the back background.

I need to try trim and clean this tank on the weekend, I am going to try rig up some tube to the scissors to minimise the clean up of MC trimmings.

Excuse the random anubias cutting and random plants on the inlet... just seeing if they will grow a little before adding them to my low tech tank.

29384967510_3724b37425_k.jpg3ft Bookshelf Aquarium 14-09-2016 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Can I ask how long your photoperiod is each day? Considering a similar sized height tank, and my previous attempts were thwarted by algae, and possibly overpowered lighting

Can I ask how long your photoperiod is each day? Considering a similar sized height tank, and my previous attempts were thwarted by algae, and possibly overpowered lighting

Lighting is currently 5hrs per day, I think the LED light would be considered a low / medium output, I also run the co2 24/7 but at a very slow 0.5bps. No real algae problems yet, but i guess its early days :p

I took a very wobbly iphone video of a shrimp swimming against the flow, they do this often, its fun to watch

Back