• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mega cheap lighting- under £10 for 24 and 55w

Palm Tree

Ok after looking for a replacement ballast for my t5 luminaire I found some cool stuff for DIY'ers.
Fluorescent Lamps Electronic Ballast with Lamp Socket 55W
Fluorescent Lamps Electronic Ballast with Lamp Socket 24W
All you need is some cable, a plug and a compact fluorescent bulb from lampspecs - here
Alternatively if you dont want to use compact fluorescent you can use a t5 bulb, just cut off the 4 pin lampholder and add some t5 lamp holders, like these:
10pcs T5 Head Splicer Lamp Cable AC 100-250V
Lampholder T5 IP64
or type 't5 lamp holders' into ebay and choose your favourite style.

I will be buying some more ballasts to play with very soon :)

Oh man!! I'm gonna be spending some money this weekend haha!

I bet it would be pretty easy to have some sheets cut and made to look like the ADA lights. Not thing i would say is be careful as as they are these items are not the correct IP rating to be used over tanks. So take care when fixing and hanging them,

Yeah, the ip64 or ip65 lamp holders should be used where the would be significant moisture levels, in a pendant however you should be ok. These are great to repair burnt out ballasts in luminaires or changing the luminaire from t8 to t5. I have thought about making a fixture, but for the price of a used on its not really worth it to me. I brought a 2ft 3 x 24w t5 luminaire for £15 off preloved, later the ballast that ran 2 of the tubes died so I dissasembled the fixture and changed it to a 2x 24w fixture with one of the 24w ballasts I linked. Works great so I'm on the lookout for broken luminaires now to salvage the casing :) . I'm planning to do a led build with an adurino contoller to simulate sunrise and sunset soon if I can get round to it.

Back