• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mixing micro sword and dwarf hairgrass

Dougie

The title says it all really, do you think this is a good mix? I already have the microsword planted but would like to add dwarf hairgrass in the gaps it has yet to fill, would i be better to just remove the ms and plant the dh or would the two go together as a mix? I'm trying to create a grassy carpet.

Picture shows the gaps between the MS.
numumydu.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Nice, was just looking for advice from people with carpets, i think also itll be nicer with the mixture, but didnt wanna do it and end up hating it then pulling the MS out would have been a nightmare! lol

Hi
ultimately I think it depends on your taste, i.e. whether or not you will like the combination, so I suggest looking at pictures of both and trying to imagine them together.
they do look similar, so they might look good together, but I cannot say as I dislike the eleocharis.

I do not know whether you are aware that these plants actually propagate by sending runners all over the place. This means that they trend to grow in "lines", sort to speak, so it takes some time before creating a continuos carpet compared to a plant that's bushy.
This is important because even if you initially plant the hairgrass in the gaps between the microsword, you may have the unpleasant suprise that these grasses grow wherever they want instead of growing where you want them to :)
I've only used lilaeopsis and I can say that once it starts growing, it sends these runners all over the place and tend to take over the whole substrate.

Back