• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My light is correct?

Victor

Hi! I have a 360 L tank lit by 11 x 25 w PL lamp (275 w). They stay lit by 7 hours a day. I've put the plants 4 months ago but there are na algae infestation! I dose EI regularly and CO2 controlled by ph computer. I've increased the water flowing some weeks ago. There was only two canisters (700 L/h each) working. Now I've put a 1200 L/h powerhead and I plan add more 2 (will be 5000 L/h total) and spread the water flow by a large spraybar at all lenght. My aquarium has 2 meters length. The illumination are too high? Which I need to do? Thank you.

I 2nd that, the lighting around my house plus the tank didn't come near to your wattage. I'd remove at least 4 bulbs.:) any pics that's a big tank:) How far from the water are your lights?

225 w over 360 litres needs good flow and co2. Ph computers can cause issues

Hi, Guys! Thank you to your feedback. I got some pictures. Here you go:

LBCMoSP.jpg
Ar4fPEa.jpg
gfGIPDB.jpg
wEccgp3.jpg

As you can see my plants are unwell. They are infested of algae! The water flow is now very strong 5000 L/h (my tank has 300 L). The plants are moving a lot. The flow is too high or it's good? My bulbs are about 5 cm from water surface. I'll try to keep the CO2 on every time from now. I'll wait a new feedback your. Thank you.

Definitely to much light for the amount of C02 available... you can either increase the Co2 or reduce the light, best of all - increase Co2 & reduce light.
Do you have any fish? if you don't have any live creatures in the tank, just turn up the gas really high.
To be honest I don't think you have the best lighting, two T5 tubes might be much better.

Definitely to much light for the amount of C02 available... you can either increase the Co2 or reduce the light, best of all - increase Co2 & reduce light.
Do you have any fish? if you don't have any live creatures in the tank, just turn up the gas really high.
To be honest I don't think you have the best lighting, two T5 tubes might be much better.

Thank you, Fox. How about my water flow? It's too Strong?

Hi, guys! I'm thinking to put 6 X 28 w T5 tubes (168 w total) on my tank. It has 200 x 40 x 45 cm (360 L). What do you think about?

Thank you, Fox. How about my water flow? It's too Strong?

Rule of thumb 10x changes per hour, but I have a 120l tank with an 1200 ex which provides 1200l changes an hour, but I recently had to to add a power head to improve flow, as substrate is backed up high at the back which was restricting flow. Looking at you set up there dose t appear to be anything restricting flow so perhaps reduce your flow a bit and see how you get on.

As foxfish suggest if you battling a lot of algae something is out of balance... Reducing light and If you not got livestock blast it with c02... Too much c02 never hurts plants but too much lights causes a lot of algae.

Amano shrimp are great at combating algae, but will need to dial down c02...

You suggested keeping c02 on all the time, IMO it prob better to switch of at night as plant won't need c02 at night and this will help bacteria growth in you filter. Suggest increased c02 level an hours or two before lights on and off an hour before lights off.

Victor, happy Christmas.
We try to match our lighting to match the maximum amount of Co2 we can add without harming any fish or shrimps we might keep.
It is not always easy to get this right so we tend to start with low light ... less than half a watt per litre with a PH drop of one point seems to work well for most people.
A single strip of T5 lights would be good or a double strip of T8 but what is more important is the correct amount of C02.
If you don't have very hard water then try to get your PH level to drop one point, measure this with a PH pen.
For example if you have a PH reading of 7.5 use enough C02 to get it down to 6.5 at the same time your lights come on.
However always be carful not to add to much gas in case you fish get stressed or even die.

Victor, happy Christmas.
We try to match our lighting to match the maximum amount of Co2 we can add without harming any fish or shrimps we might keep.
It is not always easy to get this right so we tend to start with low light ... less than half a watt per litre with a PH drop of one point seems to work well for most people.
A single strip of T5 lights would be good or a double strip of T8 but what is more important is the correct amount of C02.
If you don't have very hard water then try to get your PH level to drop one point, measure this with a PH pen.
For example if you have a PH reading of 7.5 use enough C02 to get it down to 6.5 at the same time your lights come on.
However always be carful not to add to much gas in case you fish get stressed or even die.
Happy Christmas, mate! I've renew my lighting today. I've put 6 x 30 w T8 tubes (180 w total) My aquarium has 200 x 40 x 45 cm, 360 L total but nearly 300 L of water. It's too high illumination or it's good?

Light is good now test your PH.
Take test before light on & mid light on & when the lights go off.
But I use a ph controller. The ph is always between 6,7 and 6,9 and water hardness at 5 dº. I need to off the ph computer?

Ph computers can be a problem. They tend to fluctuate co2 levels. You need a nice , constant co2 injection rate. With good co2 flow - but not a tornado!

Yes, you don't need the controller because it allows the gas to come on & off all the time & causes the amount of available gas to fluctuate.
You would be better off using a timer & solenoid valve so the gas comes on two hours before the lights come on & turns the gas off two hours before the lights go off.
This way your plants will have continuous supply of Co2 when they need it.

Back