• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Tank CO2 Blitz

Henry

Having failed miserably with countless high tech setups (doubtlessly attributed to CO2 issues), I elected to stock up on gas and go completely overkill with CO2 during the initial grow-in period. From reading various journals on here, this seems to be the method most people adopt. However, after reading some of Clive's wise words, I'm having second thoughts as to what to do.

Higher CO2 concentration levels allow the plant to put on more weight faster, and it allows you to use higher levels of lighting, which will improve the rate of growth, however there are drawbacks. As the CO2 concentration level increases the CO2 uptake efficiency of the plant DECREASES. That's because the plant knows that it can now allocate more of it's resources to other things, such as pigmentation, Nitrogen uptake and so forth. The CO2 uptake system is a very expensive, high maintenance system.

Having purposely reduced the robustness of it's own CO2 uptake system, ironically, the plant now becomes more susceptible to CO2 shortfalls. So when the tank is at very high CO2 levels, even minor downward fluctuations of the CO2 concentration will have a major negative effect on plant health, exactly because the CO2 uptake system has become flimsy. At lower CO2 concentration levels, the plants knows that it must dedicate a large proportion of it's energy to ensuring CO2 uptake, so at low levels it can more easily tolerate larger percentage gaps, drops and fluctuations.

CO2 therefore, is as Barr described it - a narcotic; the more you feed them the more you'll need to feed them.

This is exactly why people who decide to add CO2 to their tanks immediately begin to suffer CO2 related deficiency syndromes. Then they go into denial because they think: "but I'm adding CO2 now so how can melting and hair algae possibly be due to CO2 deficiency?"

Where is the line drawn between beneficial overdosing, and counter-productivity caused by excessive over-gassing?

Damnit, it's a complicated game!

Last edited:
Hi Henry,
The line is drawn at the point where you want to add fish. If you elect to go over the top with CO2 then do it when you flood the tank and keep it high for a bout 6 weeks or so.The reason is that when the plants are flooded they suffer trauma due to inability to uptake both CO2 and Oxygen. The reason is discussed in the post http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cause-of-death.16038/#post-166319

So after new leaves are grown and the plant becomes more efficient at life under water you can withdraw the high CO2 injection rate in order to prepare the tank to receive inhabitants - unless you decide to keep the light intensity high.

Of course, issues such as flow/distribution as well as timing of the gas have to be addressed as well, so it's not just high injection rate. It's the ability to efficiently deliver the gas and to enhance uptake rates.

Cheers,

Hi Clive,

I'm using an Eheim 2213 on a 17L tank, spraybar running the length of the tank at the back. CO2 comes on 3 hours (I'm being thorough) before lights on. Hopefully this will eliminate any possibility of CO2 deficiency.

My main concern is causing a narcotic effect on the plants. Is this only temporary, and counteracted by gradual reduction in CO2?

Sorry if I sound neurotic, it's because I am :D

Yes, it will probably happen but as you mention, a gradual decrease over the period of a few weeks will solve the issue.

Cheers,

What plants are you trying to grow, Henry?

Currently employing the same tactic, trying to grow a carpet of Glosso.

I'm trying to grow Glosso, H. tripartita, B. japonica, C. wendtii, and H. corymbosa "53B". Not the most difficult of plants, but I've always had issues for some reason.

Any stem plants, I recommend you try floating them for a few weeks while they adjust. Glosso has been my nemsis so far. It seems any invitro that I buy melt with in a few weeks...

All the stems I'm growing are old stock being resurrected. Glosso seems to like really high flow with it's CO2. It's currently growing, albeit vertically.

Back