• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank setup planning

David2016

Seedling
image.jpg
Hi there,
First post on here so I hope it's in the correct place.
I am in the lucky position to be planning a new tank set up. It will be a 400lt, 5'x2'x2'

For the last 20 or so years I have been playing with planted tanks, currently running a 360lt with 2 Eheim canisters 3 x tube lights and co2

Things have moved on a bit, so my first question is the filtration rate, I read on here that 10x the tank volume is the norm. I'm currently at an otpomistic 1800 lph. Can anyone suggest a new pump? My Eheim 2126 is 16 years old, and the 2324 is close to that.
Secondly the lighting, led or keep with the t5 and t8 ,s

Hi, stunning tank you have set up there is :) Someone more knowledgeable will pop in soon... I'd say as you've a fairly good knowledge and experience ... you are fortunate to choose what type of setup you aim to achieve & go for it (without the same worry a total newbie would have with regard to balancing the equilibrium of the tank!)

Welcome to Ukaps and good luck!

The ten times is the general guidelineline for high tech,high light,CO2,well planted tank aquariums often still used on lower tank set ups.If I was setting up a tank that size I would consider what is wanted whether what fish you have in mind the plants etc.It could be acheivable in low tech,easy plants,George Farmer has done large tanks for shop displays to take account of the fish,plant compatability with nice low tech plants complemented by nice hardscape,try the facebook gallery some nice examples of large planted tanks. T5 s are fine the best LEDs more econimical to run but initially expensive a consideration is also cost and time for maintainance water changes etc

Back