• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oh no another P&H cube - this one is different :)

Radik

As per subject joining P&H mania. I was trying to make something unusual so hope you guys like it. Tastes are always different but I enjoy it. I was watching 1 week bare scape and never got unpleasant for me so I decided to keep it.

It is not yet finished and I plan something different for the background like pogostmon erectus when I move Co2 from other tank. There is also sort of stringy moss growing 2cm long so takes while to show. Not sure of Fern maybe I keep it maybe not. When it gets too big it may go out.

For the foreground I will plant some HC around the rock and minirose moss (big pad) fissidens (small pad)

So far this is 2 weeks old and maturing for CRS shrimps.

Only 2 things are different:
1. Eden 501 nano filter for shimp sake and safety with steel mesh strainer on inlet pipe
2. DIY LED as standard 11W is too weak. 4x CREE XP-G LED running on 700mA. Build cost around 30,-.
Reusing some parts from China made 11W clamp light for 8,-. Full PAR readings below.

bare scape
6053504213_9974d44682_b.jpg

scape 2 weeks old
6053504133_0680780960_b.jpg

DIY LED
6054053564_69b73369a5_b.jpg

PAR readings of popular P@H cube 11W light and my DIY light fixture to compare.

Quite crappy light now I am using it on Clear seal 14L nano, where it is pretty OK. 11W Par 18
6053455349_1e11f8582f_b.jpg

500mA Driver setup PAR 48 - roughly 6W
6053455473_ca4f1503a3_b.jpg

700mA Driver setup PAR 65 rougly 8W
6054004822_f615de3aff_b.jpg

could go to 1500mA (16W) where PAR readings could be easily doubled but I think it is not necessary. also thinking of another 4000 Kelvin LED for different coloration but not sure yet.

Looks really nice. :)

Would be too much to ask for the part list you used to build the led lights? The driver, how many lights would it be able to run?

---

part list:

Heatsink 8*12*4cm- Ebay 3.50 (I've got 2 for 7) - shop price 10 - 3x cooler than my aquaray
LED driver OSRAM Optotronic constant current 700mA OT18/200 dimmable - Ebay 4.50 (got 2 for 9) - shop price 30
4x XP-G Daylight 19.00 from Ledrise.com
5x5 cm thermal adhesive pad 3.00 I used 4x1cm only to glue LEDs

Arm and clamp is from old china made lamp for 8.00 - Ebay, but any goose neck wire would work if you can get some clamp on glass

Then I had to buy soldering Iron for 6.00, soldering wire + some wires total 4.00

Radik, are you able to obtain a professional PAR meter from someone and compare the results to those of the Seneye?

I do not know anybody with Pro PAR meter unfortunately. I am in London so if anybody around let me know.

Many thanks for sharing the lust details, I will try to make one for myself. Something 60 by 20cm. I am glad that it is dimable.

About the pro PAR meter I am sure that seneye would have tested the par sensor.

---

Yes, but for such a low price I want to know how precise it is :D
I know that there's a formula to calculate the PAR based on Lux so maybe they are using that (not so precise) formula instead of a "real" PAR meter.

Lighting can be so expensive. It's the one thing I feel really aggrieved about in the hobby because I just don't get why it has to be so pricey. This is AWESOME. I'm totally going to have a go at making this myself. I love this site. UKAPS rocks.

Back