• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oranda bothered by Corydoras

Tomo

Hi has anyone come across a cory following a oranda around, picking almost grazing on the head of a oranda ? I have 3 fancy goldfish and a couple of corydoras in my 160ltre tank, all very healthy but recently one of the corys has been picking away at one of my oranda's head he does have a good head growth on him but he does not seem too botherd about it, its just that I have never seen this before and its only happening with this one fish . Is it ok? or should I take the cory out of the tank I don't want the oranda's scales or head growth damaged ...any help please thanks.

Not seen that before, but I have experienced several unpleasant occasions where a big oranda/goldfish has swallowed a cory and got lodged in its mouth, to the misfortune of both fish, and myself on one occasion as I got jabbed by the corys toxic pectoral while trying to remove it and my finger swelled up in pain lol.

I presume they are peppered corydoras? This is the species sometimes recommended as tankmates for goldfish, however for the above reason, I think this is very bad practice.

Sounds like the cory might be feeding from the extra slime growth on the orandas head? Possibly indicates a hungry corydoras, which wouldn't be a surprise wish 3 ravenous goldfish competing with just two small catfish.

I would re-house the corys in a different tank or take them back to the shop :thumbup:. Corys should be kept in shoals anyway, so really I would expect to see some erratic behavior keeping such a gregarious species in just a pair, but I'm no fish psychologist :pompus: .

Thanks for your reply, it makes sense I will return the corys back to the shop cheers.

Back