• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Otto pre spawning behaviour?

Ajm200

Hi,

I did a larger than usual water change on my tank today (to rescue my scissors that I dropped at the back of the tank without ending up soaked - the joys of an extra deep tank when you are short!)

The replacement water was a bit cooler than usual (both heaters came on immediately) and it sent the corys crazy chasing the females up the glass as they do when they spawn. They have covered the glass in eggs a few times and in the past a couple of babies have survived.

I then noticed the same behaviour from the ottos that usually ignore each other. They are normally scattered amongst the plants to the extent that after a lot of searching I thought there were only 3 left but after the water change there were 8 in a little shoal chasing up and down the glass just like the corys.

Is this normal pre spawning behaviour? I thought ottos usually lay their eggs on leaves not the glass. Did search on google but didn't find anything useful

Thanks

Hi all,
I then noticed the same behaviour from the ottos that usually ignore each other. They are normally scattered amongst the plants to the extent that after a lot of searching I thought there were only 3 left but after the water change there were 8 in a little shoal chasing up and down the glass just like the corys.
I think it might have been the fresh water, it makes them have a mad half-hour. They spawn in the T position like Corydoras (in my case on a Java fern leaf), but I didn't see what happened before that.

The ones that spawned were the first Otocinclus I owned and as far as I know they've never spawned since.

cheers Darrel

You'll notice males following the female , rather than general swimming about

I've also noticed the behaviour lately. Do the makes and females have slightly different colourations? I have one that is quite light in markings.thry kept nudging each other and following each other around tank.

Females are wider and fatter.
I don't see any colouration difference in mine

It's that or a snorkel and mask!
If i was that short i knew without doubt i would go for a snorkel and mask.. :)
But those antenna work also great even in small tanks, mine is small and have places where my hands cant get behind the hardware.

Back