• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ottos eating Hygrophila

Hi Sacha,

Several species of barbs and also USD catfish I had loved frozen peas and sweetcorn squeezed out of their skins when I cooked them for us. When I had a large Pleco it would eat blanched nettles and dandelion leaves (I poured a kettle of boiling water on them until they went limp). Worth a try.
phil

It's an old thread but thought I'd post a thread I came across recently. Ottos eating hydro...It's not in English but with google translate one can get the whole story. The pictures say it all anyway.

http://www.bingo-ev.de/~kh3515/hygrophila.html

As for fish food that ottos eat, they love spirulina sticks and it's the only fish food I've ever seen mine go for. I get mine from ta-aquaculture. And I think my ottos gorge themselves on some hydrophila too. I often see munched leaves.

On another note, my bristlenose pleco loves amazon swords. He thins the leaves nicely until they are transparent. He's well fed otherwise. Gets his own food daily and I see him eat it too.
I mean if a fish would eat stuff like spinach, lettuce, etc...why wouldn't they eat some tasty hydrophila or amazon swords....They wouldn't make a difference as long as it's edible to them.
I might as well try a salad of these myself, lol.

Yes I tried feeding them algae wafers, courgette, cucumber etc. They didn't know what it was.

They ignore all the other food that goes in the tank e.g. bloodworm, brine shrimp, daphnia, tubifex, rotifers, cyclops, red plankton..........

All of my Oto cats eat the same food as Corie cats (NLS Surface Feeder, ADA AP-2, Hikari Sinking Wafers).
A new Oto will eventually adapt to eat the food within a few months (yes it takes quite long), IME.

Back