• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Parambassis ranga

Manisha

After a water change my parambassis ranga (indian glass fish) were schooling particularly well ☺

These are a really nice addition to my planted tank - I've a school of 12. Information I've read about them notes them to be timid & shy. Although my 12 are very active & gladly swim in all areas of the tank & super fast.

They are very greedy and love bloodworm particularly but are fussy & do not like to eat from the substrate or hardscape!

They have a bad reputation as are sold dyed or painted sometimes but are really beautiful in their natural form ☺

Last edited:
Beautiful fish indeed! I am planning to have some in my tank as well!
Did you buy all of them at once or progressively? I wonder how many I should buy at minimum since I don't want to over crowd the tank.

The change of behavior might indicate that your water isn't clean enough no? Maybe more water change needed?

What is the fish with the red nose at the end of the video? Looks like a small and nice cichlid!

Last edited:
Hi all,
What is the fish with the red nose at the end of the video? Looks like a small and nice cichlid!
It is a colour form of the Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) the fish sold as "Electric Blue Orange Head".

I've not kept them but the suggestion is that <"Parambassis ranga">, does better in soft water (Rams certainly do).

cheers Darrel

Beautiful fish indeed! I am planning to have some in my tank as well!
Did you buy all of them at once or progressively? I wonder how many I should buy at minimum since I don't want to over crowd the tank.

The change of behavior might indicate that your water isn't clean enough no? Maybe more water change needed?

Hi, I got 12 of these fish as initial livestock in a 240litre tank that has been running for a few months and stabilised with aquasoil, plants shrimps and snails :).

I'm no expert but I've read groups of 6 at least are best as they shoal in their natural environment :)

I've read tank size recommended from 15 gallon to 30 gallon for a group of six which is obviously quite variable but hoped the mine would be ok for 12 and has worked out well so far! Though (this is only my opinion) because they are very fast swimming a long tank with a bigger footprint is more important (a bit like neon tetra).

Usually if I do maintenance on the tank it seems to bring out their close schooling - which I guess is how they would react to their habitat being invaded but usually revert to swimming everywhere soon after!

P_20160624_164759.jpg

This wee dude is just a ram - but a colour variation like the electric blue - lovely personalities :)

Back