• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Parasphaerichthys ocellatus - Eyespot Gourami

More like licorice gouramis I think Troi - very quiet and retiring fish by all accounts. Haven't kept them myself but have seen them a couple of times and they struck me as pretty timid. Lovely little fish but they'll want a nice subdued tank and lots of cover.

I got 5 (all they had). They were in a pretty busy 'community' tank and were hiding when you approached the tank. Mine are small, about 20mm. But the officially largest measured specimin was 32mm. They are deeper in body than the sparking gourami but do that same cute bendy thing :playful:. At the moment They're by themselves in a cube with sand and a nice piece of wood that has space underneath to hide and small pistia with long roots and red root floater filling in the gaps. Given them some plastic tubes for hidy holes. Also using an air lift filter to keep things calm. No lighting yet to settle them in. Popped some bloodworm in and they're picking at it so at least they're eating.

Last edited:
They seem to be braver at night, even when I approach the tank. Managed to get a phone snap of one in they're non 'eyespot' jammys

0be67438f08af83e2e6be0e5a7ad9a03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please excuse the grubby anubias gracilis. Grabbed it out of the plant box.

Looking at ldcgroomers gourami tank, more plants will help and I was wondering if something tiny an innocuous like /boraras maculatus might act as a 'dither fish'

What thinks you?

This little fella just popped out of his 'tube'. He's sporting his hidy camo, which is in itself rather fetching. Kind of a grey chocolate gourami?
2c7a68456c618f93c0dc5e17a98670a5.jpg

Last edited:
And here they are in all their eyespot glory. Again sorry for the iPhone pics
b66c8ccec663c4b774102f30b1cf0fad.jpg

Lovely little fish (don't understand why you didn't get paros tho lol) they will get braver if they are anything like paros and choccos. My home bred paros practically ignore my presence. Having bold betta simplex in the tank helped the choccos come out of their shells. Give them time...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sadly lost one yesterday. It was the one in the fetching grey hidy cameo. He never really settled, always at the back and shy/skittish when feeding. No obvious damage. Oh well...

In other news.....

Lobster eggs are the new favourite! And the four remaining are happy and getting braver

44faa6c57c8b22001b579c610b3d5e82.jpg

Reactions: tim
Lovely little fish (don't understand why you didn't get paros tho lol) they will get braver if they are anything like paros and choccos. My home bred paros practically ignore my presence. Having bold betta simplex in the tank helped the choccos come out of their shells. Give them time...

i have 3 Para cf.bintin in a community tank....there very at home with the numerous crypts etc....ofc they need soft water and live food but not as timid as is often made out :]

I have the book 'labyrinth fish world' by Horst Linke. This is what it had on these fish, just incase there is anything different to seriously fish.
7ec29a0d0bd3fd95ad6725774bad0dd7.jpg

462a066b98cb454c39f95adc8e9c31b8.jpg

Seriously fish recommend quite a low ph where the book gives higher ph recorded in the 2 study areas where these fish were caught. one location gives ph 7.8 to 8.0 and the other is even higher at 8.5 to 9. It suggests keeping the fish at 20 to 22 degrees c and raising it to over 25degrees c for breeding. It also suggests dropping the temp to 15-18 degrees c for a few weeks to mimic it's natural cycle and keeping in mineral rich water with ph 8-9.

So it's called 'fright colouration', not 'fetching grey hidy camo' :D

Thanks Lindy!

So RO water isn't necissary?

Last edited:
Maybe mix with your tap water to get desired levels? guess it depends on your tap.

I wouldn't bother with dither fish and try and get these wee guys breeding, they are gorgeous. Then you could have a big tank full of them!

Seriously fish recommend quite a low ph where the book gives higher ph recorded in the 2 study areas where these fish were caught. one location gives ph 7.8 to 8.0 and the other is even higher at 8.5 to 9. It suggests keeping the fish at 20 to 22 degrees c and raising it to over 25degrees c for breeding. It also suggests dropping the temp to 15-18 degrees c for a few weeks to mimic it's natural cycle and keeping in mineral rich water with ph 8-9.

Thanks for sharing this information. Everything I've read about says they need soft, acidic water to thrive, and that's why I've never kept them, because I'd have difficulty replicating this without using ro. You live and learn all the time in this hobby... :D

Back