• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pearl Gourami - Is this white area anything to be concerned about?

I'll admit to not opening the esha pdf, but it would be very unusual to remove biomedia during treatment, whereas it's standard to recommend removal of carbon or purigen or other "binding" type media

Seachem does have expiry date & lot # on their product so you can easily confirm product status with Seachem

You might also check with local vets to see what might be available there (also local chemists that stock livestock supplies)

Depending on fish, it may be possible to net fish (look for a brine shrimp net as the fabric is soft & "dense" & will help protect fish skin/scales from handling damage), immobilize in the net, lightly coat lesion with a topical antibiotic cream such as Debride (you can likely substitute a Neosporin type cream)
This article is koi focused but worth reading
Note that the fish capture/hold/treatment process should be calm & quick so as to limit stress to fish (your local vet might be able to supply a fish anaesthetic but this needs to be used with care - research thoroughly before attempting): if you don't observe daily progress over the first few days, discontinue.

You can also remove fish to an alternate container for strong short term "bath" treatments (it's recommended to add aeration even for short term baths)

In case you've not done the math yet, its usually much cheaper to just euthanize & buy a replacement fish :rolleyes:
(I tend to give up only after the fish in question has given up, but it's not the most practical choice ;))

In case you've not done the math yet, its usually much cheaper to just euthanize & buy a replacement fish
Haha, I'd done that long time ago but sometimes in a small startup aquarium it's a good time to learn before going bigger places.

All the instructions with the esha were in German so I relied on the pdf info, I'm sure bio and chemical are different but after reading elsewhere was unsure if it was lost in translation.

I did also read elsewhere about repeating the dose cycle of the esha 2000 but not on their site :crazy:

All of the seachem on eBay was from the states.

Think a couple of water changes and observation maybe in order and guess the only real worry is if this is contagious

FWIW I doubt it's Columnaris - it's not really a common infection in home tanks, except through introduction of infected fish, & it would be unlikely to be "contained" to a single fish after all this time

I'd complete the first esha 2000 Tx, do large daily water changes for 3 days, then repeat Tx

You might write out exactly what protocol you're following

FWIW I doubt it's Columnaris - it's not really a common infection in home tanks, except through introduction of infected fish, & it would be unlikely to be "contained" to a single fish after all this time

I'd complete the first esha 2000 Tx, do large daily water changes for 3 days, then repeat Tx

You might write out exactly what protocol you're following

I have already carried out the first esha 2000 following their dosing recommendations for 50l:
Day 1 - 13 drops
Day 2 - 6 drops
Day 3 - 6 drops

Prior to that I carried out several water changes notably 2no 50% one on day 1 and the other the day before.

What else would you like to know - forgive my idiocy please.

I don't see any idiocy here :D

This is from PFK forum back in 2008 (so may have been changed somewhat since - might be worth emailing the manufacturer & asking (which is what the original poster did :) - if you do email, include a photo of the sick fish))
Originally Posted by Susie
For anyone interested the ingredients of Esha 2000:

6.3 mg ethacridine lactate (Rivanol)
1 mg proflavin
3.2 mg copper 2+
0.26 mg methyl orange

I've now opened the pdf file -
eSHa mentions double dosing for persistent or severe infections (& other situations), so I'd give this a try

"normal" dosing scheme"
60 litre
Day 1 15 drops
Day 2 8 drops
Day 3 8 drops
Then with stubborn infections, continue the 8 drop dosing for several days

Slightly confusing, they also suggest double dose if soft water with GH<4, so then for the 60l tank, Day 1 dose 30 drops, then 16 daily for a few days

Based upon this you'd likely be safe to dose additional eSHa 2000 & continue treating
I do prefer to perform large water changes & observe fish in a "medication-free" environment before repeating any treatments
Depending on the medication, I'll even add carbon back in for at least overnight - once water changes have been performed (makes for more efficient removal)

BUT
please list all livestock here first

If you've tank photos, those are always helpful
Also just list setup details

Tropical Bay (I've borrowed this from Luis Cardosa's journal)

Setup Date:
16-09-2014
TAnk: 120x50x50 extra clear glass
Light: 4x39w t5 6h
Filtration: JBL CristalProfi e900 with NAG Lily Pies + Eheim Professional 3 with VIV Lily Pipes
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone + Redmoor
Substrate: Complete ADA Substract System
Fertilization: EI

other useful factors
Temperature
Water change schedule
Livestock
Water Chemistry
such as pH, GH, KH etc if you happen to know them, it's always good to have some idea of what your local tap water parameters are (it's usually fairly easy to find water reports for your area)
Basically the more detail you provide, the better :)

The sorts of lesions shown in the photo are often persisting - a "scrape" will reveal quite a long list of pathogens (many are there as part of the "normal flora" of the fish, in a healthy fish they are present in very small numbers, in an ill fish, the numbers rapidly increase) - fish will also usually continue to act fairly normal while the lesion persists.

Back