• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Choices for Covered Riparium

Kev_M

The tank is 48" x 24" x 24". It has chunky brace-bars along the back/sides so an open top is out of the question. The water line will be filled about halfway, leaving roughly 12" of space to fill with plants. I have glass covers but don't necessarily have to use them - therefore I'm not strictly tied into high humidity. Although I do feel as though it would be more simple to go high humidity.

I've read pretty much everything I could find by Hydrophyte on the web but, typically, I've not been able to find a good list of plants that won't outgrow a covered tank (bar the high humidity, Crypt type stuff).

Any help will be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks, Darrel. I don't suppose you'd be able to recommend any from the list you linked me, that will not outgrow the 12" tall space I have for them? I'm aware that some of these plants may need winter dormancy periods, etc. So a heads up on any that are likely to be high-maintenance would also be appreciated. I don't really fancy attempting trial and error with plants that cost £12 each!

Hi all,
Most of the orchids, ferns and bromeliads will grow fairly slowly. I'd definitely have Cryptanthus spp. they are fairly slow growing and will grow wet.

If you sort out plants you like the look of you should be able to find them cheaper on ebay.

Ferns like Microsorum and Bolbitis (B. heudelotii & B. heteroclita) will grow wet emersed, and so will Anubias most mosses etc.

I've got a few bits you can have when your ready.

cheers Darrel

Back