• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question- inline diffuser on filter intake

Sacha

I just connected my UP inline diffuser to the intake pipe of my filter, because I was sick of the micro- bubbles coming through the spray bar when it was on the out- pipe.

Now, the micro bubbles are exactly the same. No change to having it on the out- flow.

Does this mean I have bypass going on in my filter? The carbonated water is just somehow getting around all the filter media?

Also, does it make a difference which way round you put the inline diffuser? As in, should it be installed upside- down if the flow is going the other way?

I'd expect you to still get some micro bubbles but there shouldn't be as many as there were before. What filter do you have?

The direction it's installed doesn't make any difference.

It's an Eheim professional 3 600 (1250 lph).

It doesn't appear to have made much of a difference to the mist, which has made me worry there might be some bypass going on in my filter.

I guess you could try putting some fish food into your intake and see if anything comes out the other end?

Hi mate,

I had the same problem. I removed almost all media to have as high flow as possible, however I released that if you put some sponges to the filter this helps trap the bubbles inside. I even put one tiny layer of filter floss and there are no bubbles from spray bar anymore. I know it is reduce the flow little but I think with the bubbles trapped inside It's much better. My filter bumb probably once in hour or so but nothing big.

Vazz

Thanks!

Just wondering, what is your media setup in the filter?

I haven't changed the media around yet, I will on Sunday.

However the Co2 is being dissolved much more efficiently now. The fish started gasping after just two hours so I had to reduce the bubble rate.

Back