• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question on cleaning

Easternlethal

So I have read quite a few posts about how important it is to keep the tank clean from organic detritus especially in EI tanks but I have a few questions about what this means and how to go about doing it.

1. Why is organics bad and how does it cause algae? i have a tank that suffers from clado which i am sure is caused by organics but don't really understand why.
2. How does one remove organics from a dirted tank, especially where there are lots of plants and shrimp?What techniques can I employ?
3. Why do ei tanks create more organic buildup?

thanks a bunch!

I'll give this a shot..

1. Organics can quickly decompose to create ammonia that algae loves and in dead flow spots in a tank where debris collect this can become an algae farm zone. (Think base of grasses and in and around dense stems etc.)

2. Gentle syphoning around plants etc. without disturbing the substrate (airline tubing)

3. Fully dosed EI tanks tend to be high speed high growth tanks and all that growth creates many waste by-products from the plants. Slower low or mid tech type setups are better able to find a balance and even self fertilise from those waste products.

Excellent filtration can only help deal with these organics or a dead fish going unseen...

Thanks but what about the substrate, as that seems to be where the organics collect? Is it necessary to do an uproot, gravel clean and replant after, say 18 months? How deep should one clean (since the deeper one cleans the more dirt one picks up)

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Organics can quickly decompose to create ammonia....(Think base of grasses)
+
The substrate is right where these organics belong and the plant roots will process them and keep the substrate healthy.

So how do I reconcile these two facts? Because the base of eleocharis is also right where my clado loves to hang out!

So how do I reconcile these two facts? Because the base of eleocharis is also right where my clado loves to hang out!

Because the base of your eleocharis is exactly the type of place were organic debris collects.. hair grasses are famous for this. Use a v small syphon tube to regularly clean down amongst the base of the grass and maybe even a small paint brush as well to comb it a little.

Back