• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reliability of Drop Checkers

Ok so first thing is to get a ph tester? Where is the best place to get one of these?

skeletonw00t said:
Ok so first thing is to get a ph tester? Where is the best place to get one of these?

There's two type you can consider

Traditional Chemical Test Kit
Nutrafin Ph Wide Test Kit £7.99 From http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk
hagen_phwide_range.jpg

Digital Pen Type (What i use cannot say anything bad about it must remember you will need calibration fluids to check it once in while)
ph-009-ia pen type ph meter digital tester hydro £7.33 From http://www.mystore365.com
View attachment 134804

Hi Clive!

ceg4048 said:
Well, like all algae, BBA love CO2 just as much as plants do. But having CO2 24/7 means nothing if the output of your CO2 device is unstable, which DIY CO2 techniques usually tend to be. You still need to look at the concentration profile of the tank as a function of time in order to give you a clue of when the CO2 is at it's highest, medium and lowest levels.

The problem is not that BBA love CO2, but that that BBA do not care about whether the CO2 is stable or not, while plants do care and suffer if it is not stable. BBA in a way can sense whether or not the plants are responding well to the CO2 profile. Think of BBA and any algae in the same way that you think of predators such as lions or wolves. If the prey is healthy then the predator will not attack, but if they can determine that the prey is weakened and vulnerable then they attack immediately.

You are correct n that BBA tends not to go away even if you improve conditions so you need to evict it from the tank, normally with liquid carbon and/or a lot of elbow grease, however, if you have not improved CO2 stability, then it will return with a vengeance.

You need to look at the CO2 profile by taking the pH measurements first and foremost. You might discover something you were unaware of.

Cheers,

does this means that once the tank conditions have been improved and stabilized, then manually removing all the BBA muck is the only way forward? Even if it means destroying your garden, and then perhaps re-planting it later with newer plants? No austerity measures possible in this tough cost cutting and Euro-problems environment?

Yeah mate, that's one of the annoying features of this type of algae. I mean, with species like BGA, often if you catch it early, you can just throw NO3 at it (The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch) and it will run away. But BBA just sits there and stares back at you, so it's very hard to tell at what point you have actually achieved the right set of conditions in terms of CO2 stability. Before the popularity of gluteraldehyde type products, we were forced to meticulously pick and clean and harass the tufts for a long time. H. peroxide dips/spot treatment were also used. Nowadays, one can simply carpet bomb the tank with Excel until the tufts turn pink/purple, and if it doesn't grow back then you know you have it right. So you really never need to disrupt the scape unless you have sensitive inmates or if you have plants that respond negatively to carpet bombing...Austerity measures? Pfah, let Lisbon and Athens worry about that...

Cheers,

skeletonw00t said:
Well, I mean, you already have a pH test kit, don't you? The fluid used in your dropchecker is a pH test kit unless you are using that all-in-one blue liquid. But if you are using clear 4dKH water and if you then add that orange liquid to the checker then that orange liquid is the pH reagent and you should have received a color chart with that reagent.

As much as people winge about pH, I'm amazed that there aren't more folks using a pH meter. Just have a look here=> Amazon.co.uk Hana pH meters My favorite is item 6, which is a pH/TDS/Conductivity meter. It's so easy to use and is almost instant. No messy liquids, except for when you have to calibrate, which is not that often, and no silly color charts to interpret.

Cheers,

In the UK you're looking around a tenner. I've been wanting to get a digital one for a while - what I'd love is one that has a probe that lives in the tank and the display lives in the cupboard but I fear that is completely out of my price range :D

ceg4048 said:
skeletonw00t said:
Well, I mean, you already have a pH test kit, don't you? The fluid used in your dropchecker is a pH test kit unless you are using that all-in-one blue liquid. But if you are using clear 4dKH water and if you then add that orange liquid to the checker then that orange liquid is the pH reagent and you should have received a color chart with that reagent.

As much as people winge about pH, I'm amazed that there aren't more folks using a pH meter. Just have a look here=> Amazon.co.uk Hana pH meters My favorite is item 6, which is a pH/TDS/Conductivity meter. It's so easy to use and is almost instant. No messy liquids, except for when you have to calibrate, which is not that often, and no silly color charts to interpret.

Cheers,

Hey Ceg

so if I understand correctly, you double check your DC measurements by testing the pH and comparing that value to those in the pH/KH table? So if your aquarium water has 6,6 pH and 4dKH (from your DC) that would mean 31ppm of CO2, right? In that case, the pH/KH table is reliable because the KH solution is "clean" from other sources that might influence the test (acids etc)?

How accurate is that Hanna meter of yours?

PeteA said:
what I'd love is one that has a probe that lives in the tank and the display lives in the cupboard but I fear that is completely out of my price range :D

Like this you can get these for about £100 with P&P great for using with CO2 just set the ph you want for you plants and it will dose your tank till the required pH is reached and then turn the CO2 off preventing the CO2 levels becoming to toxic this you leave on 24hrs a day and will keep a constant pH level in your tank
408131497_060.jpg

Or you can get a seneye for that money but it wont control the co2 levels in fish tank but it will give you a PH reading and few others readings depending on the model you purchase the best feature i like is that it will text you when you setup your tanks parameters if any were reach a dangerous level if your at work or on holiday in japan it will alert you you can pop home or ring a mate or member of family and get it sorted before its to late think this is very smart device and got one on my shopping list
seneye%20n.jpg

GillesF said:
Hey Ceg

so if I understand correctly, you double check your DC measurements by testing the pH and comparing that value to those in the pH/KH table? So if your aquarium water has 6,6 pH and 4dKH (from your DC) that would mean 31ppm of CO2, right? In that case, the pH/KH table is reliable because the KH solution is "clean" from other sources that might influence the test (acids etc)?

No mate, you cannot compare the pH readings of the tank to that of the dropchecker. The tank water has unrelated organic acids that corrupt the calculations used in the tables and therefore the pH reading of tank water cannot be used in the tables, however, for this exercise, we assume that in the space of 6-8 hours, those organic acids concentrations won't change too much, so what we're looking for is the change of pH over that period, which we then assume is due to the change in the carbonic acid only, and thus will indicate a change in the CO2 content. The dropchecker water has no other acids. It is completely isolated by a column of air and so the changes that occur within the checker do reflect the absolute values of the waters CO2 content. However, because of the mechanism by which the checker works, it cannot tell us what is happening right now. It is always a few hours behind in it's indication, therefore we cannot use it for this exercise, because the slowness of it's response masks the behavior of the phenomenon we are trying to investigate.

In this exercise, the instantaneous pH reading of the tank is not being used for determining absolute CO2 PPM. It's only being used to track changes in PPM. Can you understand the difference? BBA is caused by unwanted changes in CO2, so we need a way to see those changes, not a way to measure absolute values. If our assumption is correct - that the tank water acids don't change appreciably in relation to the carbonic acid over that time period - then it illustrates for us a profile of how the CO2 levels change as a function of time. Understanding how the CO2 levels change, in this case, is more valuable than understanding absolute values, because this particular algal bloom is related to the rate of change of CO2.

Hope this makes sense... :crazy:

Cheers,

Ceg - am I right in thinking that me messing round with the co2 over a week (turning it up reguarly) could be causin algae issues?

Hi mate,
Normally, just a simple increase in injection rate is not a problem. In fact you should have seen an increase in growth rate and an increase in plant health if all you did was to increase the CO2 concentration levels. If you were turning it up and down and generally fiddling with it in every direction then, yes, that could always a contributing factor, but i don't think that this all happened just in the space of a week right? As i mentioned before, DIY CO2 is almost ALWAYS unstable because the rate at which the sugar is consumed and the rate at which the yeast live, die and excrete CO2 is very difficult to control. The gas pressure changes easily, from day to day and from hour to hour causing the flow rate to fluctuate. This is a textbook recipe for BBA, generally. That's why I mentioned in an earlier post to maybe supplement your CO2 with liquid carbon. If affordable, a pressurized cylinder is always preferable.

Cheers,

i am using a cynlinder and have been messing with it this week.

Don't know why but hair algae has started to appear. I brought some flourish excel so will overdose for a week to clear up my algae.

Also ive changed my diffusion method so that the co2 is being injected into the filter - so hopefully that will make sure im getting good co2 all round the tank!

ceg4048 said:
GillesF said:
Hey Ceg

No mate, you cannot compare the pH readings of the tank to that of the dropchecker. The tank water has unrelated organic acids that corrupt the calculations used in the tables and therefore the pH reading of tank water cannot be used in the tables, however, for this exercise, we assume that in the space of 6-8 hours, those organic acids concentrations won't change too much, so what we're looking for is the change of pH over that period, which we then assume is due to the change in the carbonic acid only, and thus will indicate a change in the CO2 content. The dropchecker water has no other acids. It is completely isolated by a column of air and so the changes that occur within the checker do reflect the absolute values of the waters CO2 content. However, because of the mechanism by which the checker works, it cannot tell us what is happening right now. It is always a few hours behind in it's indication, therefore we cannot use it for this exercise, because the slowness of it's response masks the behavior of the phenomenon we are trying to investigate.

In this exercise, the instantaneous pH reading of the tank is not being used for determining absolute CO2 PPM. It's only being used to track changes in PPM. Can you understand the difference? BBA is caused by unwanted changes in CO2, so we need a way to see those changes, not a way to measure absolute values. If our assumption is correct - that the tank water acids don't change appreciably in relation to the carbonic acid over that time period - then it illustrates for us a profile of how the CO2 levels change as a function of time. Understanding how the CO2 levels change, in this case, is more valuable than understanding absolute values, because this particular algal bloom is related to the rate of change of CO2.

Hope this makes sense... :crazy:

Cheers,

Yeah, makes sense.

Another question: BBA is caused by unstable CO2. But what if the CO2 levels are unstable (due to tweaking) but still optimal (e.g. staying above 30ppm). Is it still possible to have BBA then?

Guys

I too have had good share of CO2 issues. But funnily other than BBA, and occasional GDA, other algae have been off limit in my tank! BBA is a real bane..

I use CO2 cylinder with 4-5 bps, 2hrs ON before and 3 hrs OFF before lights. I have a inline diffuser (Dupla Reaktor S) with 9/12 holes. So I had to adapt my cannister pipes 16/22 to fix it, resulting in pressure drop & so a CO2 distribution issue.

Got atomizer, but had major pain since the pressure needed to force the gas is way different than the reactor. Fidling around gave a very unstable and varying CO2 in the tank... got a major BBA mess, plants suffered. So now am back to the diffuser, but added another cannister for flow. All is well in last 3 weeks. But BBA isnt subsiding.

As master Ceg pointed out, one needs to simply slay away the remnant BBA and look forward..

In all this, I got JBL CO2 liquid. It claims to be a ready-2-use with 35 drops into the DC should start showing the CO2 level. Even after 5 bps, and moderate-2-heavy pearling, my DC always remains dark blue!!!! Theres no extra water added, and I have 4 bottles of this JBL liquid now. Relying too much on these chems is a definite problem..

-niru

skeletonw00t said:
i am using a cynlinder and have been messing with it this week.

Don't know why but hair algae has started to appear. I brought some flourish excel so will overdose for a week to clear up my algae.
OK, well any filamentous algae is definitely related to the absolute value of the CO2 so that means you were low on the injection rate when you switched over. Remember that overdosing only works short term for any of these. When you stop overdosing the injection rate needs to be high enough, the diffusion method needs to be sound enough, and the flow rate and distribution method from the outlet pipes needs to be correct enough in order to keep the plants healthy enough to resist and suppress the blooms.

I assume that you also have a solenoid and can now shut the gas off? If not, and if you are still using it 24/7 then you can easily maintain good stable levels. It's always a good idea to reduce the light intensity while messing around and trying to find the CO2 sweet spot.

Cheers,

GillesF said:
...Another question: BBA is caused by unstable CO2. But what if the CO2 levels are unstable (due to tweaking) but still optimal (e.g. staying above 30ppm). Is it still possible to have BBA then?
Yes, you can. Barr describes CO2 as a narcotic. Plants get hooked on high levels, so when the levels change in a downward direction they start failing even if the absolute value of the new lower level is still what we refer to as "optimal". Take a deep breath, buckle you seat belt and check out the discussions in What causes green spot algae,hair algae and some causes.... and Co2 Fluctuations and BBA and see if any of that makes sense.

Cheers,

My observation is that relying on CO2 drop checker readings is one good cause of algae.
Let me explain.
CO2 drop checkers are too slow in their colour development. By the time the drop checker changes colour the CO2 levels could be way out of line.
As well explained by Ceg4048 plants react with rapid changes of enzyme production to the changes of CO2 levels.
CO2 checkers can not follow those changes in any way before some damage is done.

I have stopped using drop checkers.

Instead I use electronic PH probe and monitor the PH in let say 3 points of time during the light cycle.
I do that during the start up period of a new set up and periodically when the set up is well developed to make sure that everything goes smooth.
When the lights come on, mid cycle and when the CO2 goes off. The CO2 in my tanks always goes off an hour or two before the lights depending on the tank size and particular set up conditions.
On the other hand I would program the CO2 on time as early as 5 hours (depending on the set up) before the lights to make sure that the CO2 level is good when the lights come on and that there is stable CO2 level with as little as possible change during the light cycle.
After that it all comes down to stable supply of CO2 in the tank, good quality valves and relatively stable ambient temperature of the room where the tank is placed as the changes in ambient temperature could influence the CO2 supply rate.

I found CO2 inline reactors to be the best for maintaining stable CO2 levels, because they can not change suddenly the CO2 levels as glass diffusers and atomisers can.

Man, I have been looking for this thread for a bit and, bang, skeletonwoot creates it for me. Thanks mate.

And Clive I have been looking for this specific post:
ceg4048 said:
So one of the ways to beat BBA is to carefully manage the timing of your CO2 application, so that when plants need a lot they get a lot and when they don't need a lot they don't get a lot. So first of all you need to understand, in that particular tank, just exactly how the CO2 is behaving. We need to know just exactly when there is a lot and when there is not a lot of CO2 in the tank. The only way to get a clue is to take direct pH readings of the tank water at various points in the day. A pH reading every hour, or better yet, every half hour from 2 hours prior to lights on until lights off. The dropchecker is too slow to be useful in this exercise and a pH meter is a handy tool to have.

Generally the CO2 profile in the tank should be something like this:
2 hours prior to lights on - pH at it's maximum daily value => Turn gas ON.
1 hour prior to lights on - ph drops 0.5 units below maximum daily value.
Lights on - pH is at it's lowest daily value, approximately 1 unit below maximum daily value.
1 hour after lights on - pH is slightly above lowest daily value.

The above is an ideal scenario but it's very difficult to achieve. Often, if you are able to drive the CO2 to it's maximum value (pH at it's minimum value) by lights on, the injection rate will continue to drive the pH downwards so that the fish begin to suffer. Maximum CO2 (which causes minimum pH) is required at lights on. A few hours prior to lights OFF, the plants start to drop offline and they do not need as much CO2. Many tanks have trouble in that they do not reach their maximum CO2 until several hours after lights on, and this causes problems, both for plants and fish.

Here are my readings from my main tank yesterday using a PH pen:

9:30 - 7
10:00 - 7
10:30 - 6.8
11:00 - 6.7
11:30 - 6.6
12:00 - 6.5
12:30 - 6.5
13:00 - 6.4
13:30 - 6.4
14:00 - 6.3
14:30 - 6.3
15:00 - 6.3
15:30 - 6.3
16:00 - 6.3
16:30 - 6.3

at which point I stopped checking. However, checked tonight at about 7pm and it was 6.3.

Here's the thing though.

CO2 comes on at 9:30.

Lights come on at 13:00.

That's right, three and a half hours prior to lights on.

PH drops 0.5 below maximum daily value 3 hours after co2 comes on and doesn't reach its lowest level until 14:00 which is one hour after lights on and five and a half hours after co2 comes on.

What the hell is that about?

Is it just the injection rate is too low? I know one shouldn't rely on pearling but I get pearling about one hour after lights on (but who knows it might be the hair algae in the Elatine hydropiper, not the actual hydropiper :rolleyes: ). Drop checker is lime green by 15:00 mind.

Back