• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala bonsai

Heagney

45D7ED8B-91CA-4067-810B-9F985314554B_zpsrh8htzul.jpg

I fancy getting rid of the stones and adding some rotala bonsai to the left of my tank, what do you think?

It's classed as medium to grow. I don't currently add co2 or ferts to my tank and have a 15w t8

If it's a possibility, does anyone have any to sell??

I know I shouldn't have added shrimp so early (just been cycling for a week today) but they are loving it!

I doubt very much, you will succeed with Rotala 'bonzai' in these conditions.
You could check Bacopa 'compact', to see if apearance suit your needs - this plant can grow successfull in your conditions. Wil need trimming, though, to create the low, dense apearance, that is usually desired.

It's a little more in the thin side than I would like but suppose it will add a bit of variety to the tank. I did t think it would suit but it t does look lovely in a small planted tank

Also looking at buying either TNC or Seachem fertiliser and liquid carbon. Any advice on either?
I've been leaning toward TNC complete and their liquid carbon tbh

My tank's last incarnation had Rotala Bonsai in it growing in ADA power soil. With CO2 it did really well but a BBA outbreak made me add liquid carbon which got rid of both the BBA and the Rotala Bonsai, it just melted over a week and never really recovered

Just been thinking that I need some more dwarf hair grass and something around the left and back left to help cover the outflow. Most of my plants are slow growers so thinking about adding something that grows a little quicker to help balance it out? Any advice for such a plant for my small aquarium?

Limnophila sessiliflora is a very easy, but also very fast growing plant. It will grow happily in your tank-conditions - but will need constant trimming.
Another easy and reliable plant is Rotala rotundifolia. This one will thrive in your tank, too, grow fast but not as fast as Lim. sess.
They are both good at "kicking" a new tank into finishing it's cycling a bit faster, because of their fast grow-rate, producing bio-mass fast. For same reason they are good at keeping established tanks "in balance".

Thanks ver much buddy. Had my water tested to day and it's 7pH with low nitrite and a little nitrate so hopefully the cycle shouldnt take much longer

Back