• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala macrandra mini type 2

zozo

Started out as a disaster with a a small invitro batch which i ordered from Germany and already arived melting in the pot. What still was green i planted in my tank and this also melted away for 95% only had 3 tiny shoots left barely to see. But i managed to save it and get it to grow. Now it developed as one of my most beautiful plants in my tank very nice colors :) And rapidly growing..

JsoSvXb.jpg

But my issue is? Not realy an issue i don't mind but what's so darn mini about it? They sell it everywhere as a plant growing 15 to 20 cm tall. And mine is over 40cm yet and i don't see it stop, realy..

Sorry for the over exposure, got to get a grip of my camera.
uX4pYvd.jpg

I tried to find examples and searched the forum, did found some tanks having it. But couldn't get clear views of this typical plant nor any closeups or topics about it. What's going on here? Is there a special (scissors) manual to keep 'm mini no seller elaborates about or is this a giant mini type they sold me? Does somebody know? Have experience?
:)

I think the length of most stem plants can't be determined accurately.
Tropica generally list the length information as "Average height (cm) of the plant after two months in the tank."

Because when they reach the surface, they just grows along under the surface until the water current or something/someone tears the stems.

If i would take that average in acount with this plant then it would be super mini type.. It took over 2 months to recover and establish and grow 8 cm. Thats from first week april till early june :)

See this
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/from-this-to-this.12636/page-14#post-403524

to photo above, it went from less than 10cm to about 50 cm in 30 days. They should call that plant Mini Type Oppenheimer.. haha

If you want to know for sure if it's a rotundifola var. or a macrandra var. - grow some in a pot (in high humidity and good light).
The rotundifolia's will grow relatively fat, fleshy stems and leaves, and they are easy and healthy growers that stay vegetative (more leaves) for long.
The macrandra's grow very weak, thin stems and rather tiny leaves, these are more difficult - often burn leaves - and tend to go generative (produce flowers) afyer only a few sets of leaves (this is why you can't usually buy them as potted plants).
- as for the term 'mini', it usually just means, that the particulary variety is smaller than the standard species.......

Thanks Mick that's a nice one to know.. I'm working on a Wabi Kusa anyway, that's a perfect way to find out.. :) Actualy more something like a Wabi Kusa, dont know if i can call it that way. Maybe you can when it's done.. Maybe its a Wubi Casa.

If you want to know for sure if it's a rotundifola var. or a macrandra var. - grow some in a pot (in high humidity and good light).
The rotundifolia's will grow relatively fat, fleshy stems and leaves, and they are easy and healthy growers that stay vegetative (more leaves) for long.
The macrandra's grow very weak, thin stems and rather tiny leaves, these are more difficult - often burn leaves - and tend to go generative (produce flowers) afyer only a few sets of leaves (this is why you can't usually buy them as potted plants).
- as for the term 'mini', it usually just means, that the particulary variety is smaller than the standard species.......

Here we go :) lets put it to the test. In my so called WK setup i can't use a substrate ball so in made a WB sausage. Its a Wabi Sooseeji Kusa - Hai!!!
XUrY2T6.jpg

Here are some small cuttings of the rotala
AodfSjK.jpg

Covered it in a bowl on a warm spot and a lamp above it.. It's already steaming in there.. Hopefully i can show you the moment of truth and my WSK soon. :)

Macrandra is one of the few plants IME in which you can easily have this even if your plant is not really large...

15771739799_8a74388ee4_b.jpg

It has actually bloomed in my propagator, WK and nanovivarium. I have grown emersed about 10 species but it has been rather difficult to see flowers in most of the cases

Jordi

Definitely a Marcandra i guess :) didn't flower yet in the W-K but according above discription, difficult, weak, burn and small leaves. Only one of the 5 plantlets made it this far.
joJgpHl.jpg

Another remarcable thing about this plant is. In tropical good fertilized high tech conditions 25 celcius it grows and grows along the surface makes site shoots and hanging roots. It refuses to brake the surface and go emersed. Did put some cuttings in the garden terrace pond which gets full sun all day, which fluctuates in temperature as the weather does and night and day does. Much less fertilized and with in 2 weeks it's developing emersed growth at the watersurface. Didn't expect to do it so well outside in the open air.
siZJmjC.jpg

This makes a terrace pond a perfect W-K propagator for this spieces. :)

Back