• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spectrum...doesn't matter...does it?

One of the main questions and unknowns I've long had is can we design a wavelength set that will optimize the growth vs minimizing the energy input? PAR vs PUR.

There is likely something to the light spectra, but what it is etc, is a tough one to say, and then personal aesthetics are a huge issue.

I've been thinking the same of late...we have the technology and the methodology...and it would be interesting to quantify. I'm not doing much of any great interest at the moment so...if one of the industry biggies wants to fund the research I'll get right on it (CV available on request):D

To what end though Troi?
Why don't biologist always use PUR?

The bulb brand and models will be specific and certainly be changed and marketed differently in a few years.
You need the full spectral graph for PUR and this will change also.............as intensity goes up/down(plants will respond differently to both PUR and intensity). You you need to filter and change intensities over a wide range of variables.
And this is just for one plant species!!!

You'd need to do 5-10 plants commonly kept in aquarium.
That's a lot of work for very very little gain and you'd need a lot of space and equipment.

That is the trade off and why most Biologist simply use PAR, it does not answer such questions, but it's a heck of a lot easier to use and compare vs the full radiospectragraph.
Yes, we can answer many things, but the labor, changing products and technologies and effort to do so outweighs what we gain from it, since many horticulturist use sunlight, that's is what is most often tested, not fake light.

We can use something fairly weak like Lux or a camera meter, or use PAR or use PUR which becomes far more involved.
Lighting makers simply do not discuss any of this.

Make take is to use PAR and then pick what you like personally.
Some observations amongst the hobbyists will be helpful and compre what everyone thinks based on consensus( a tall order for many hobbyists, but it's happened many times).

Back