• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stairway to Heaven - Nature Aquarium

Janf

Hi.

"Stairway to Heaven" is going to be the reborn of my passion for this hobby. At the same time this was the way I found to keep alive the spirit of someone I cared about but unfortunately passed away. At these hard times only family and friends can help you move on with love and friendship. All this project will be dedicated to my family and specially to someone that is no longer between us.
Aquascaping was always one of my passions and for that reason I think I should spend more time keeping my "peaces of heaven" on the right track. In this project I choose to keep all the substrates and some rocks from my previous layout and I'm really confident about it.
At this time there is lot of work to do since the big area for plants isn't planted yet. So I'll be receptive to your ideas!
I really hope that you enjoy and participate as much as possible. I can only say that I'll do my best to keep it interesting.
Before all the details, I would like to thank Luís Alves from Ecoarium for helping me and have the patience to listen my ideas. No doubt he deserves the best of luck in is new project.

SETUP

Name:
Stairway to Heaven

Setup:
4 September, 2014

Dimensions:
90x40x50 cm (180 L)

Lights:
LED Set (65W) - DIY

Heater:
None

Filter:
JBL CristalProfi e901
Water Pump (300 l/h)

Substrates:
ELOS Terra Zero
ELOS Bottom Mineral
ADA New Amazonia

Fertilization:
Eco-grow+ - Macros (EI)
Eco-grow+ - Micros (EI)

CO2 System:
WaterPlant - Bottle (1800g)
WaterPlant - Solenoid Valve
WaterPlant - Bubble Counter
WaterPlant - CO2 Reactor

Hardscape:
Rocks from mountains
Wood from mountains

Flora:
Alternanthera rosaefolia mini
Cryptocorine undulatus green
Cyperus helferi
Echinodorus tenellus
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Hygrophila lancea
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Ludwigia glandulosa
Pogostemon helferi
Ranunculus inundatus
Staurogyne repens
Staurogyne sp. porto velho
Vallisneria nana

Fauna:
Ancistrus sp.
Caridina japonica
Paracheirodon innesi

001_zpsd616a12d.jpg

Hardscape on 23rd August 2014

002_zpsc091acd7.jpg

003_zps282cb367.jpg

005_zpsde29f36c.jpg

004_zps313ab005.jpg

006_zpsa1861e08.jpg

8 Days after setup

24 Days after setup

Hope you like it! Any question just ask.

Regards,
André

Awesome wood. I like your hardscape.
The only thing... Don't you think that upper long horizontal branch is too long?

Awesome wood. I like your hardscape.
The only thing... Don't you think that upper long horizontal branch is too long?
Thank you! Hmmm... I like it the way it is. Besides I have some ideas to use that branch with some stem plants or mosses :)

Regards,
André

Hi there.
After the water change I did last friday I decided to take some photos just to keep you updated about the project. I'll be waiting for your feedback ;)

29 Days after setup...

011_zps16e3b6a6.jpg

010_zps168e056c.jpg

012_zpsc91bf657.jpg

009_zps3e68ce1b.jpg

008_zpsd5c4cdbc.jpg

007_zpsfd22a763.jpg

Hope you like it! Keep following :p

Regards,
André

Last edited:
Hi!

i'm not totally convinced about Echinodorus tenellus. Although I really like it is size is beyond what I think is right for that position. It was my first experience whit this plant but this way it's impossible to keep it. I'm thinking about adding some more red color (maybe more Alternanhtera rosaefolia mini) and replace Echinodorus for Montecarlo.

I'll keep you updated :)

Regards,
André

I really like the texture of your Wood...Looks really good under water!

But I think the branch on the upper right is getting to much Focus...
Pehaps a nice Background plant in the mid-part of the tank will get you a Little bit of stability and depth...
Just an idea ;)

Like the selection of plants so far... looking good :)

I really like the texture of your Wood...Looks really good under water!

But I think the branch on the upper right is getting to much Focus...
Pehaps a nice Background plant in the mid-part of the tank will get you a Little bit of stability and depth...
Just an idea ;)

Like the selection of plants so far... looking good :)
Thanks mate! I agree with you... I'm going to add some moss/riccia on that upper branch. Besides that I'll add some Limnophila Hippuridoides (not sure yet) to the background :)

Keep following!

Have you considered to use dwarf hair grass instead? Like eleocharis sp. mini from Tropica. It should provide you lower carpet, while still make a smooth impression, IMO.
Yes, but I'm a bit afraid of using it because I used parvula on my previous layout and algae start growing between grass. besides I want to try another plant ;)
Thanks for the idea!

Regards,
André

Hi.

At this moment, the layout has some plants that I intend to take out like Echinodorus tenellus, Ludwigia glandulosa or Hygropila rosae australis. It doens't mean I'm going to take it for sure but those plants were planted just to fulfil empty areas for a short period of time. Tenellus is out for sure to be replaced for montecarlo most likely. But Hemianthus micranthemoides is growing horizontally and maybe it could make an excellent carpet. I need help to decide :banghead:

Hope you like it!

017_zps737e1169.jpg

016_zpsac09ede6.jpg

Regards,
André

Hi.

Last weekend I replaced Hygrophila rosae australis and Ludwigia glandulosa for Alternanthera rosaefolia mini and some more Rotala indica on the background. Next weekend I'll probably change the carpet plant. Echinodorus tenellus is getting to big for that position and ofr that reason it's going to be out of the layout.

Hope you enjoy!

018_zpsf4b981ca.jpg

Regards,
André

Yep, tenellus is quite big. Don't you try to trim it?

Sent via Tapatalk
I was not sure about trimming tenellus like I do with other plants... Yesterday I found a video from Tropica where they trim tenellus without any special trick.
But I'm already decided about tenellus, I don't want it on the front of the layout :p

Regards,
André

Back