• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stalking a sick fish?

zozo

But not sick enough to get away constantly.. :shifty:

Got a Oreichtys cosuatis girl having trouble, probably a swim bladder damage or infection.. It is constantly capsizing to her right flank, laying on the bottom a lot.. But these fish are somehow darn smart and as soon as they smell a rat dive into the smallest nooks and crannies.. And the thing is i got a lot of them with all the DW i used. She definitely is not ok, but not weak enough to escape, now she hiding in the cave, i can wait an hour and she capsizes out again. I leave the nets in the tank so they get kinda used to their presents, but this doesn't realy work. As soon as i even move a net an inch all of them smell the rat again and non of them are to find. If I move away from the tank, all are back on stage like nothing happened with in a minute only the sick one, she kinda feels she's weak and in danger if she comes out the hiding she immediately looks for another safe spot in some dense planting laying on her side. And if i try to catch her then suddenly she lightning fast again and disappears in some hole in the woods.. :mad:

Aquascaping and creating complex scapes is fun, but this is the down side.. :rolleyes:

Already have a quarantine sick bay tank prepared for her with some antibiotics, in case it's an infection. so i still might be a chance to safe her. But she doesn't even let me get close and drives the whole tank nuts to get her. Now i can wait till she is to weak to escape, but then probably also to weak to survive..

How do you get around situations like this? Are there some techniques i didn't think of?

I could treat the whole tank, but i'm not realy familiar with antibiotics and (fortunately) very little experience with sick fish. But reading about it, it think it's not realy a good idea to treat the whole tank with antibiotics, the rest of the fish are in perfect health (still).. :meh:

Ps. Never mind, finaly got her.. In a unguarded moment in the perfect spot and a fast slide of hand... That's probably the best technique, wait to get you chance and don't get frustrated. Pfew took me all morning and afternoon to get her.. She's in the quarantine tank now.. Crossing my fingers the treatmnet helps..

Thanks for the link Roy... It's not a food issue i think, they do not eat from the surface, don't take floating food, very rarely swim higher then 2/3 of the tank. And if they do it's only at night.. My best guess it's swim bladder, but what is often just even more a guess.. Could be old age, got them already in adult size and non of them grew in the 10 months i have them, so no idea what their age is..

Good luck Marcel. Yeah, in one of my tanks, sometimes I can't even get a dead fish out. Braces, light wires everywhere with shoddy DIY fittings. Precariously balanced feeders..... Can't even get the duckweed out....

Good luck Marcel. Yeah, in one of my tanks, sometimes I can't even get a dead fish out. Braces, light wires everywhere with shoddy DIY fittings. Precariously balanced feeders..... Can't even get the duckweed out....

Thanks you.. :)
But beautiful it is.. :lol: :thumbup: Till some s%$^7 hits the fan..

Back