• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stone layout and advice on separating substrates please

Wisey

Hi All,

I have also posted this on my journal thread over here:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/wiseys-first-planted-tank-tmc-signature-60x45x45.34709/

but thought I would also post here to get more exposure for the conversation!

I could really use some advice from people on laying out stones and separating different types of substrate. I'm hoping to have a small sand area at the front separated from the main planting area with a bank of stone. I have looked at a lot of videos, people like Tropica, TGM etc. Tropica always seem to stand the stone on polystyrene first which seems sensible, but they then tend to pour in a substrate and cap it with the same material, so you don't often see them separating substrate. They also don't tend to have the stone up against the glass. I'm looking at a U shape layout with planting substrate up to the front at either side as I figure this gives me more planting area rather than just having a line of stone from one side to the other other. I can't really put stone on polystyrene right next to the glass as it will look awful. A lot of people seem to put the stone on to the planting substrate, but that makes it harder to get the separation with the sand.

I will include a pic here of an early idea that I was just playing around with. It is by no means a finished design, but demonstrates what I am talking about. The tape measure is where the front glass is as my board is bigger than the aquarium base. How would I go about stopping substrate creeping round the front of the stones, they are not straight enough to go directly up and form a good seal and I am also reluctant to have them touching the front glass in case of scratches. Anyone have any clever ideas?

arrangement1.jpg

A bit of plastic in the substrate will prevent too much mingling. Also make sure the two substrates are at the same level otherwise one will role over the other. Nothing too fancy but may be of help. In my tank I am not using any supports/dividers between Aqua soil and sand path, hopeful it will be ok when filled :nailbiting:

Most of my substrate will be separated by the stones, it's just stopping it moving along the front glass there without having something obvious in there, which a piece of plastic might stand out. I guess I might just have to give it a go, or scrap the sand idea and work on a scape that just uses the one substrate. The other option is to extend the rock outwards and have the sand right over the front I guess, but was trying not to end up with too much stone and not enough planting areas.

You could just go without any dividers etc and just hope for the best, tbh I don't think you'll have too much of a problem unless you have very active catfish/loaches/shrimp

Back