• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

summer lighting period?

Feels like i am forever gonna be asking nood questions that i kinda know the answer too but keep running back for the wisdom of the site :lol:

Do people decrease there lighting period through the summer? Mine is a low tech and in the last four weeks i have for the first time in ages started to notice some tell tell signs of an unhappy tank :(

Not having changed anything i was wondering wether the extra light in the summer could be the cause?

cheers dave

How long do you have your lighting on for at the moment. I hear diffrent views on how long low tech no co2 tanks should have lighting in for, some say no more than 9 whilst I've read a few run them for 10-14 hours.
I have noticed recently that my emmersed plants are growing towards the light coming through the patio door since the sunny weathers begun so I have upped my lighting over the last few weeks to ten hours a day now to try to stop this do they grow up instead of across. The only major problem from the extra light from the sun is I get small amounts of GSA on the glass facing the sun.
What sort of unhappy signs are you seeing mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Still running 6hours on mine. But just added another 8w of light. I notice the affect the sun light has on my tank as my plants seem to have more growth everytime I look at the tank. Even when tank lights are off.

Alastair said:
How long do you have your lighting on for at the moment. I hear diffrent views on how long low tech no co2 tanks should have lighting in for, some say no more than 9 whilst I've read a few run them for 10-14 hours.
I have noticed recently that my emmersed plants are growing towards the light coming through the patio door since the sunny weathers begun so I have upped my lighting over the last few weeks to ten hours a day now to try to stop this do they grow up instead of across. The only major problem from the extra light from the sun is I get small amounts of GSA on the glass facing the sun.
What sort of unhappy signs are you seeing mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks for the reply

I run my lights for 6 hrs a day and have done pretty much since the set up, whenever i seem to up it i start to see signs of algae :thumbdown:

yeah im getting some gsa on the glass but not much i can do about that lol apart from scrub... but i have also noticed some hair algae starting to grow a bit, which has not been a prob for quite a while :(

Maybe i should up my ferts which is 6ml of tnc complete 6 days and one off, because my lighting period seems very low compared to most.

oh yeah :lol: i have 2 x 40w t8's with no reflectors and plenty of cover from my vallis and frogbit.

cheers for the help

Back