• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5 and spotlight shimmer effect

NatureBoy

Hi

Was wondering if you could replicate the halide / led shimmer but with t5 tubes by dividing up and spotlighting the light from the tubes in someway...anyone tried this?

I've thought about fixing a row of lenses to the reflector or something?

cheers

Hi

Was wondering if you could replicate the halide / led shimmer but with t5 tubes by dividing up and spotlighting the light from the tubes in someway...anyone tried this?

I've thought about fixing a row of lenses to the reflector or something?

cheers

The simple answer is no. Been attempted numerous times in the marine scene and never worked - you need a single point light source to make it happen, that is why halide and halogen lamps are still the best for that natural shimmer in aquarium.

Posted from the comfort of my iPhone...

that figures, shame as LED etc is a massive leap in price....

that figures, shame as LED etc is a massive leap in price....

It depends what led unit you are looking at to replace your t5s? There are some very good relatively cheap led options out there. You could consider one or two of those 6500k floodlight led units?

You only need a single GU10 fitting LED bulb to supplement the T5, just a few £s to buy.

You'll need a pretty decent led to get the shimmer - most times it very very slight as the light from the T5s over powers the led.

Maybe, I guess it just depends, here is my set up with T5 & 3 x 6w LEDS...seems to work ok.

8d617c4bc5e26f60420f256bd95f4600.jpg

Yes, that should fine then:) I'm used to using 6+ t5s - so with less t5s the LEDs should shine through.

Maybe, I guess it just depends, here is my set up with T5 & 3 x 6w LEDS...seems to work ok.

8d617c4bc5e26f60420f256bd95f4600.jpg
...looks cool and will save a few quid! did you get special water proof GU10 units, etc? Can you point me in the direction of the kit you used? cheers!

Back