• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5 Lighting recommendation

lawrencezarb

I have a planted 60in x 15in x 24in(deep) tank with pressurised CO" and ferts added and would like to know what t5 lighting to add.

I am currently running with 96watts of T8 lighting and am looking to upgrade

Hi there. With a tank that size it`s gonna get expensive? :lol: I recently upgraded the lighting on my 180ltr (40") for one of these units and I have been really pleased with it. If you wan`t to go open top check them out.

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquar ... hting.html

A unit for a 60" tank like yours will provide you with 4x54watt. That`s more light than you will ever need? They are not the most esthetically pleasing you will find, but they won`t break the bank either! :thumbup:

Those were not available when I purchased my luminaire. They look very similar. Iquatics do tropical tubes, I have a friend who has good contacts with them I`ve tried them in the past. He swears by there Marine tubes! :D

Like Alastair says though, just buy regular tubes from electrical retailers. I have seen much better results than using the expensive named brands. Look for 865 Triphosphor Daylight. Osram/Philips etc. I pay £2.50 each for my tubes from a local electrical supplier. :clap:

Thanks for all you answers, but what I am really looking for is what sort of wattage I need. As an electronic engineer I am not worried about fittings and luminaire, just what wattage and how many tubes I need.

Exactly!
If you really want to use huge amounts of light then that is fine but you certainly dont need to :)
You can look around the forum & find many examples of tanks using only two bulbs, my own tank is 22'' deep & 20 '' wide (front to back)but, I can grow tight carpets of foreground plants with 2 x T5s.
However as Alastair has already said, he used 4 T5s at one time although only four were on for a limited time.

Can someone now tell me what would the overall length be of the 80watt tubes including the endcaps.

I know the tubes are 1449mm long but how much extra does the endcap add.

I need to ensure that it will fit in my hood.

Thanks

Back