• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5s, LED or a mixture?

Conger

Hi

Another question before I set up in a few months time... I wish I could just get started so I don't keep changing my plans!

I'm fully aware of the issues of having too much light, and also that the source spectrum doesn't matter a jot to the plants. My tank will most likely be a 4'x2'x2', with CO2 and ferts. I was originally going to go with just 2 T5s, but after first dismissed LEDs, have started to consider the TMC grobeam 600s, partly due to the ability to fade in/out and control brightness. I understand that as they are 460mm long I'd need 3 to cover the whole length (2 would leave some darker areas) - but I've read that each strip is equivalent to about 1.5 T5 strips of the same length.

I was thinking of having the LEDs and one T5 to get the best if both effects, but in the experience of those who have used LEDs or both, would the LEDs look nice alone or too harsh? I presume a reddish T5 will soften the light and bring out fish colours better. Will having both be too much light?

LED and T5s - I can't comment on the specifics of TMC grobeam 600s - in terms of overall aesthetics both together would look a bit cumbersome, and I'm not sure it'd enhance your viewing pleasure to the degree it'd be worthwhile. I'd choose one or the other. LEDs can give you much more control, so I'd go for them personally, and the shimmer effect is awesome.

Same size tank as myself conger, I currently only have 2 T5 36w tubes, standard hood fixture with the fluval vicenza, I am not in a position to change to LED's at the moment but for when I might be I'll follow you on this one as like you've mentioned on a separate thread, we have some common requirements, I'll stick these TMC tiles in my wish list for the moment;)

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 4

Back