• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thread fin Rainbow vs CO2

Lukmana91

Has anyone kept Threadfin Rainbow with CO2 setup?

If so, how do you pull it off?

Not exactly answering your question BUT:

I had a group of threadfins who were very happy in my 60L tank that was run without plants as a storage tank for my fish until the new tank was setup. When I moved the threadfins over they eventually died off, except for a single female who remains alive and well today, pretending to be a copper harlequin (I have a shoal). I noticed that the threadfins appeared to pump their gills (indicating CO2 is a bit high) before my other fish, so they may be more sensitive to CO2. I also found they ceased to display to each other, It seemed to me that they disliked the high flow I had in that tank.

A rather long answer but to summarise:
I struggled to keep threadfins happy in a high tech/high CO2/ high flow tank although I know threadfins have been used succesfully in the scape Brighid Sleeps, although I cannot remember the name of the scaper.

Thanks Cross,

So threadfins may not be the best fish to keep in a high tech tank, is there small fishes (planning to keep in a group of 50 or so) that would be suitable in a high tech tank with high light and high co2?

Cheers

197_False_Harlequin_Trigonostigma_espei.e.jpg
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/brighid-sleeps.37083/

This is the scape I mentioned.

I wouldn't completely rule out threadfins based purely on what I said, however if you are after something for a 50 strong group you maybe able to find something that shoals a little better. The threadfins certainly need conpany of their own kind, however I wouldn't say they shoal as well as other fish. I am very happy with my trigonostigma espei, here is a pic from google:

197_False_Harlequin_Trigonostigma_espei.e.jpg

I would recommend looking at scapes that you like for fish then research on the seriouslyfish database.

It seems that there is a lot of research yet to be done,

Thanks for your advice Cross,

Cheers,

Back