• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TMC mini LED 400 - enough for high tech?

Stampy

Seedling
Hi all :thumbup:

I am currently planning a build using an ADA 60-P to house some cardinal tetras and some Bolivian rams.

I want to be able to grow things like hair grass and riccia (amongst others) and I am wondering if using 2 x mini LED 400 units would be sufficient? I like these units as they offer low power consumption (after owning a 5ft reef this is quite important :lol: ) and quite good looking on the mountaray bracket

I would be using pressurised Co2 alongside this.

Thanks for any help.

Simon

Thanks for the response :)

I am not a fan of the grobeams in terms of looks.

What would a pair of mini 400 units be capable of growing? From what I've read they cover a 15" square area and can penetrate to around 18" deep, I thought they would have been ideal :(

Failing that I'll go for an Arcadia OT5 luminaire and suspend it :)

Thanks,

Stampy said:
Thanks for the response :)

I am not a fan of the grobeams in terms of looks.

What would a pair of mini 400 units be capable of growing? From what I've read they cover a 15" square area and can penetrate to around 18" deep, I thought they would have been ideal :(

Failing that I'll go for an Arcadia OT5 luminaire and suspend it :)

Thanks,

How much would the OT5 luminaire cost you mate ? just wondering if you have thought of a pair of tmc 1000ND units ? You can get them quite reasonable, with a controller, on the second hand market. Or what about the LED500;s ? The bigger brother to the 400's you mentioned ?

A 2x24w would come in at about £170 I believe :)

The 1000ND tiles are far too expensive IMO - for a pair of them I could get a AI SOL or something! :lol:

I thought the 500's were 10k marine based, so too blue for plants to grow effectively? Thinking about it now I could suspend the luminaire and keep the clean lines of the tank intact :)

well ok maybe yes , I have miniled on 30cm cube and it is good and I am using it on full power. So 2 of these then could work

Stampy said:
A 2x24w would come in at about £170 I believe :)

The 1000ND tiles are far too expensive IMO - for a pair of them I could get a AI SOL or something! :lol:

I thought the 500's were 10k marine based, so too blue for plants to grow effectively? Thinking about it now I could suspend the luminaire and keep the clean lines of the tank intact :)

An AI Sol, NOW you are talking ! lol. Do you happen to know the spread on that out of interest Would it do an 80cm x 45cm tank ?

Radik said:
well ok maybe yes , I have miniled on 30cm cube and it is good and I am using it on full power. So 2 of these then could work

I'll have to do some more research I think, I'm in no rush though! Thanks for your help :)

Antipofish - I believe the AI SOL has a light spread of around 60x60 (cm) ;)

Stampy said:
Radik said:

I'll have to do some more research I think, I'm in no rush though! Thanks for your help :)

Antipofish - I believe the AI SOL has a light spread of around 60x60 (cm) ;)

Damn. Thats not wide enough for me :(

Back