• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I absolutely love this tank, the whole idea is great. I've been really inspired reading this journal, and Alistair's chocolate gourami saga. I really want to set up a low tech/natural tank. Maybe i'll ditch the co2 in the future and have a go myself :). Great work Tom, looking forward to future updates.

So I managed to get a great deal on a camera upgrade this week. Sold my two aging Panasonic bodies and picked up an Olympus E-M5 and 12-50 kit lens for essentially no extra cost. And I'm a little bit smitten.

I've never been much of a believer in either image stabilisation or kit lenses, but the 5-axis IBIS in the E-M5 is basically alien magic and despite a pretty slow aperture range the 12-50 has a surprisingly useable semi-macro mode when paired with the respectable high ISO perfromance of the new Oly/Sony sensor.

Non-photographers can stop reading at this point, but how about this for handheld with a kit lens at 85mm equivalent, a mere 1/10s shutter speed and ISO1250 -

u01a.jpg

I've been getting web-usable wide angle shots at 1/1s.

Very nice! Lovely DOF and bokeh, especially in the second pic. Is the stabilization built into the lens or body to achieve that low shutter speed. (2-4 stops correction in some canon lenses I've owned)

You should change you avatar to the second pic.....very cool

Wow.......nice:eek:

I.ve never yet shot with stabilized lenses (yet), so i can't compare with VR lenses (i shoot nikon).
I just know development in photography is very fast nowadays.
These are impresive though. How many tries?:cool:
'

So Olympus claim 5 stops with the (in body) IBIS in the E-M5, which I assumed was marketing rubbish until playing with it this evening. I've not done any proper tests but a solid 4 stops seems believable.

I was only getting sharp focus about 1 in 4 shots but that's due simply to subject movement, which obviously IS doesn't help with. I did a quick test shooting my computer monitor (can't remember focal length) and 100% crops of the monitor pixels were razor sharp at 1/5s and still quite clear at 1s, which is ridiculous frankly. And it stabilises video.

My next purchase was going to be a 120H equivalent and some lights, but these photos are seriously making me consider putting that on hold and getting a decent DSLR to take pics.

My next purchase was going to be a 120H equivalent and some lights, but these photos are seriously making me consider putting that on hold and getting a decent DSLR to take pics.

Now if you were deciding between a point&shoot and a DSLR I'd say DSLR all day. But DSLR or 120x45x60h tank?????????? To take pics of a tank or to get brand new tank, all the sundries, planning the 'scape, setting it up, watching it grow etc etc......

I'd say tank all day long. It's better to be at the live event than to see on the tv!!

Tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank

Now if you were deciding between a point&shoot and a DSLR I'd say DSLR all day. But DSLR or 120x45x60h tank?????????? To take pics of a tank or to get brand new tank, all the sundries, planning the 'scape, setting it up, watching it grow etc etc......

I'd say tank all day long. It's better to be at the live event than to see on the tv!!

Tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank tank

I hear ya, but I already have 4 decent tanks and yet I just don't have any good photos. I can partly blame using an iPhone, but I know most of it comes down to my photography skills. I just need to sit down and really practice with the lighting and angles. And the 120H will happen one day. A new camera isn't going to stop that from happening, only potentially delay it.

4 tanks?!?!?!? Get ye hence to the camera shop my good man...

Any more slow shutter speed shots BigTom?

Really good looking tank. This is one of my inspirations for my low tech tank of the future. Thanks for sharing Tom

Back