• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

too much light

I have now pointed the top power head down slightly to increase mid water movement and reduce surface agitation. I now have good surface circulation without the trauma. I've also turned up my co2 rate from 4 to 5 bps and kept the lights the same for now. Let's see what happens.

Be very careful, by reducing the surface agitation and increasing your bubble rate you could overdose your fish. Keep a careful eye on things and at the first sign of any distress from the fish turn the bubble rate down again.

Update:
Fish started to stress out so I have turned co2 rate back to 4bps which is still technically an increase as I have reduced surface agitation. I also removed the reflectors to reduce the light intensity a bit and lower co2 demand a fraction.
I have removed the bba and most of the hair algae so I can better monitor the changes.
I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks, I'm gonna sit on my hands for a week or so and monitor. Once the ludwigia and pogostemon have grown in a bit more I'll post a better pic. Have you spotted the "echnidorus hadi red pearl" at front right. I can't wait for that to mature. It currently throws out a new red leaf every couple of days. There is also a red barclaya longfolia growing at back middle that is currently just out of sight.

Update.
I have been getting fresh growth of bba so decided to drop lighting to 2 x 25 watt tubes from the 3 I originally had. I can't up the co2 any more than 4 bps as the fish start to stress out. I really don't think it is a flow issue and have tested circulation with plastic flakes ( and plants seem to have good movement).
Gotta admit I do like the more subdued look and the black phantoms have come out of hiding.
Should plants disagree with this I may re introduce the third tube for a 2 hr burst half way through the photoperiod.

Update,
Bba and hair algae has started to reduce but not gone yet. I have started double dosing liquid carbon in addition to the injected carbon. I also reduced the light duration by 30mins. Let's see if this gets me any closer to an algae free tank

Hello,
A more effective lighting strategy would be to lower the intensity if possible. It is the intensity that does the damage. You might also consider giving the tank a trim to improve flow/distribution.

Cheers,

Hi ceg,
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I had also removed the reflectors to help reduce the intensity.Also I have added a moss branch canopy over the anubus to offer some shade and the rotalla has been removed as it was very dense and is being replaced tomorrow with some new ludwigia sp( should have better flow) and will keep its red colour easier than the rotalla. Once it grows in I'll post another pic.

Back