• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wabi-kusa projects

Re: Wabi-kusa project

TBRO said:
Hey, Paulo - the plants in the right hand one are Myosotis scorpioides, ludwigia repens and a terrestrial that looks very like hydrocotle v, the one on the left contains rotala rotundifolia, Bacopa caroliniana, emergent xmas moss, HC, liliopsis, hairgrass, Rotala Walchii..... I was in TGM today and saw a ADA journal dedicated to nano's, I'm now home and regretting not buying it as I fancy re doing my nano as well.
Many thanks mate, if you have any cutting of the emerged plants let me know that I would be interested in trying a few specimens. cheers

I hope the WK in the tank takes off then I will hopefully have plenty of cuttings to send your way Paulo.

I had a bit of extra UG, I set up this little emergent 'gumi. I used gravel on top of potting peat, some carnivorous plant websites recommend this low nutrient substrate. I would love a green carpet with little flowers but it will probably die as usual!

Also, here are some close ups of Xmas moss and HC growing emergent.

tanksmarch2010001.jpg

tanksmarch2010002.jpg

tanksmarch2010003.jpg

tanksmarch2010005.jpg

Thanks guys, I'd love to crack this plant. Seems everyone struggles with it. Some really nice flowers when emergent. Check out this guys UG from http://hydro-culture.net/images/cps/utr ... CN0744.JPG
DSCN0744.JPG

NB is it OK for me to link to someone else's image, if not I'll remove it, Cheers Tom

A bit of updating.

The original WK has been moved again into a bigger glass cube, it was looking cramped in the smaller one. The stems were looking a bit yellow so I decided to put in a shot of TPN. This resulted in better colours but also the stems have all started producing multiple side shoots!

tanksapril2010023.jpg

Rotala. w
tanksapril2010013.jpg

Bacopa.c
tanksapril2010014.jpg

Rotala.r
tanksapril2010015.jpg

The UG scape is slowly getting there, the UG melted back but has just started producing multiple new tips.
tanksapril2010016.jpg

The glass bowl scape is rampant with the MS flowering regularly, long live summer sun shine!

tanksapril2010019.jpg

I have a couple of other projects ongoing which I will update soon.....

The glass bowl scape is rampant with the MS flowering regularly, long live summer sun shine!
Ms?
Looks really great. Good to see the UG is starting to come good for you.

Hey Garuf, still early days with the UG, I keep topping up the water so it's just below the gravel with a tea spoon. MS is just abbreviation for Myosotis scorpioides, bad habits from working in health care!

It takes a long time to adapt apparently. Everyone seems to suggest it needs acidic starting point, people who use amazonia getting the best result. It's such a nice plant it's a shame it's so hard to keep!

Hey Mowze, they are on a sunny window-sill, a 50 W halogen desk lamp provides a few hours boost in the evening (this is quite hot so having it on all day would probably result in dessication). T

That's awesome Luis, how about floating it in it's own separate bowl. hydrocotle does well on a sunny window sill. Check out my globe, there is also liliopsis, riccia and marisella hirsuita growing emergent. I plant to add more soil and try cyperuss or venous fly traps. Also I've found naturally occuring islands of glosso and riccia in my main tank. T
tanksapril2010034.jpg

tanksapril2010033.jpg

tanksapril2010031.jpg

tanksapril2010030.jpg

Good idea.. I got a bowl that came with a orchid, long dead, I can use it with some emmergent plants..

Will try your plants, got Lileaopsis, Marsilea and Hydrocolyte on my tank, so it will be just a need to get the scisors out.

Should I use potting soils, or coco coir or what? :)

Sorry about the delay to reply!

The bowl just has a handful of ADA Malaya at the bottom. Retrospectively a deeper layer would have been better but I don't want to disturb it now. I think it creates a great environment for tropical plants. On a sunny day it's so warm and humid in there.

Here's some updates. The MH is slowly spreading. Just recently noticed there is HC growing in the Riccia mat along with the lilliopsis.
tanksapril2010056.jpg

tanksapril2010053.jpg

tanksapril2010055.jpg

Got a couple of new things to post, will gets some pics this evening, Tom

Oh here's a few shots of the WK tank. In the end Steve was right and I decided to ditch the wood. No algae............... Only problem now is white fly!! Would make a cool frog tank but it would need to be filtered I guess.
tanksapril2010042.jpg

tanksapril2010044.jpg

tanksapril2010045.jpg

tanksapril2010046.jpg

T

Back