• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Weird fish death after feeding

Matt Warner

Hi all. I fed my fish earlier some krill which were quite big. I came back to the tank 10 minutes later to find one of my harlequin rasboras floating upside down and then pointing downwards. It then died shortly after and its colour totally faded like fish do when they die. Do you think that it could have choked on the krill as they were quite large and then died. When I noticed it swimming upside down it looked completely normal and normal in colour. Many thanks

If it was just the one fish,then I might consider offering flake for the rasboras, and maybe break up the krill into smaller offerings for other fishes to be safe.
If several fishes reacted similarly, I might wonder if something on your hands was transferred to the food/tank accidentally.
Stuff like cologne,soap,cleaing product's ,etc.
I have lost fishes by forgetting where my hands have been before placing them in the tank for feeding,maint.etc.

Thanks for the reply. It was just the one fish, all others were fine and still fine this morning. I never actually touched the food with my hands. I just put the frozen cube in my fish net and defrosted them in the tank then released the krill. Could it be that they weren't defrosted properly and this is what killed the fish?

If feeding larger foods, just "shave-chop" them with a sharp knife while the cube is still mostly frozen.

If you've seen fish "overeat" then blow food out the gills, it's easier to imagine how too large food can suffocate a fish.
You can try feeding flake & frozen at the same time, but I've never had fish prefer flake over diving after the frozen ;)

Back