• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is that yellow "stuff" on the belly of my Amano shrimp?

Zak Rafik

Hi guys
I just noticed that one of my Amano/Yamato shrimp had this yellow stuff under its belly.

Are those eggs?

Can someone clarify on this?
Thanks and Cheers
Raffik

d76a354323d7f3385e76892242fc1217.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like eggs. However the larvae won't survive in fresh water. They need specific brackish conditions to grow.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Happy to know my shrimps are in good enough health to breed. Sad they won't survive.

Is this quite common for the Amano shrimps to have eggs while being kept in freshwater tanks?

How about Red Cheery shrimps? I had just introduced 25 of them into my tank about 2 weeks ago.

Cheers
Raffik

It is said Amano shrimp larvae need a salt water phase but I'm pretty certain the the shrimp have been breeding in my tank for years now because I haven't bought any new ones since maybe 2005 and yet I still have a mix of juveniles and adults. It's a very well established 120 x 60 x 60 tank with lots of java moss undergrowth etc. that may help keep larvae safe. Larvae getting washed down stream to the sea maybe the ideal breeding scenario in the wild but it really seems it isn't essential for breeding success...

How about Red Cheery shrimps? I had just introduced 25 of them into my tank about 2 weeks ago.

They should breed like crazy in a well established tank. Sadly, I can't make them survive in mine. I'm now left with 1 after I bought those 50 pcs/$10 bag.

Back