• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What strain of Angelfish do I have

I am new to angels, I have had these for several months now. They are doing good I think. What kinda are they?
a49a7bb1c17535b5d22dd822680cf9b6.jpg
e92296b6a871d18d386f10730d9c9293.jpg
a3e2631e7f9a1d1e92877a02ab254451.jpg
8c9d7f3f27f2d0d3113a155a0f0a3c05.jpg
3e222c695d75d1f957e0a6c95a325379.jpg
6c3110e7e66e54091846046f2da4b95b.jpg
bafda03e53e829c54cad742426027745.jpg
96ee4b633dc8ad3faaaf50c2b31de361.jpg
834ea65dcdf7966b2bdd5906d93c0d6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

There actualy only is one strain of angelfish in nature, the closest to it is this one.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160129/bafda03e53e829c54cad742426027745.jpg

All the others are mutated cultivars which where all bred in captivity.. I believe the true natural colored angelfish isn't even to be found anymore in the lfs, they are bred for so many generation and numbers, there's no need anymore for wild catch and the real wild color is bred out of it...In the angle scene the color patern probably has a name whish obviously is a fantasy name. It's no garanty like if you breed with 2 types of the same color patern that all the offspring will be the same. They are selected paterns put together when shipped to lfs. So i guess it's hardly to call a typical strain.. Commercial fish breeders have developed so their methods to induce certain mutations, but i have no idea if this is the case with angelfish and if it is bombarded as strain the way it is with (fancy) goldfishes.. :)

I must admit my angelfish experiences are probably out of date, my last ones where somewhere in the late 1970's.. At that time the general idea was there is only 1 color strain in the wild and only scalare is captive bred for commersial purpose. I see the Leopoldy was discovered only 1963 and probably not even fully recognized in the 70's as individual sp. wasn't in the books back then, didn't know it.

But that wikipedia pic shows body shape, the colors are bred mutations..

http://www.aboutangelfish.com/what-are-freshwater-angelfish-varieties/

Excuse me i rest my case and leave it further to the modern angelfish acquaintances.. :shy:

I think 2 types of Pterophyllum are accepted today; Pterophylum scalare scalare and Ptetophyllum scalare meboldii/leopoldii.
I'm pretty sure the Ptetophyllum altum is considered a more distant relative to the two.
The two first can interbreede - I haven't heard of crossbreeding with P. altum.
- Which is not relevant to your fish, since they are all colour variations of domesticated Pterophyllum scalare scalare.....common angelfish.
I will not go into details of colour-genes and their combinations. This can be found in details, if you search the net..........
Your fish are a mix of dominant and resessive colour-genes, selected by a breeders to present specifik appearance of the fish (I do this for my hobby ).

I think your fish are named as follow - ( so you can search the net F.eks by googling for "angelfish genetics" ) :
1 & 2 are Leopard or snakeskin
3 & 4 are smokey
5 & 6 are Gold Marple maybe Koi
7 is wildtype or Silver
8 & 9 are smokey Gold Marble - and the extra long fins are also genetic; Veiltail

Hope this can help you, to search for more info on your very nice angels.........

Last edited:
TAS The Angelfish Society

Phenotype Library - click on each link for photos, note these are all naturally occurring mutations that were identified & developed by dedicated angelfish breeders

Domestic angelfish are likely from a mixture of originally collected species, but are generally recognized as P scalare
Several breeders bring in various wild fishes to improve & strengthen bloodlines - Steve Rybicki is an outstanding American breeder, his website Angels Plus offers some good summary articles
These are some wild type fish currently for sale - not imported wild fish but bred in captivity 2nd & 3rd generation juveniles etc (excellent photos & some video)
He also offers wild cross angelfish varieties (again links included for photos)

Of course, I can't not mention David Hlasnick
Wild-cross Koi Project Update

All the black ,marbles etc are likely tank bred variations of Scalare and according to PFK the all black ones are more likely to have aggressive tendencies as do Leopoldi ,(more rounded and smaller finnage that true Scalare)

My experience with wild angels is opposite - they are much more "cooperative" than domestics, school/shoal more closely, have a discernible group hierarchy/social interaction ... though much stronger hunting instincts so less of a "community" fish ... but then I don't really consider any angel fish to be true "community" fish, though they can be kept in carefully mixed tank - like most cichlids.

As for darks being more aggressive, again not my experience BUT aggression can be a bloodline trait - it's just not necessarily tied to "dark" genotype/phenotype.

I've kept Peruvian, Altum & various sourced domestics

All the black ,marbles etc are likely tank bred variations of Scalare
As I recall this is not consistent with DNA evidence (rather the mixed origins theory)

Back