• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's going wrong

aaronjeffels

Seedling
Hi every one

After getting a little bored of my old tank set up I decided to start over. Watched loads of YouTube videos, trawled through the forums and instead of jumping straight in like I am sure most people do i took it slow and sourced the right materials etc. 4/5 weeks later I could just do with a little advise on what im not doing right or what else I should be doing. About the tank

its a all pond solutions 300l tank
its 100cm long, 50cm deep and 65cm high (to the lights)
I have 5 x 39w t5s that run from 7-9 in the morning and from 5-10 at night. i was running the morning session longer but have decreased it in the last week.
the substrate compromises of dirt with a medium gravel and then a fine gravel to cap the whole thing off.
Because the tank is pretty deep i decided to slope the tank quite high and steep to get the plants that little closer.
I am running co2 into the tank through the diy fire extinguisher method. My diffuser is placed underneath my filter intake so it passes through my external filter (all pond solutions 2000 ef canister) then out of the spray bar. I also have a a wave maker placed in the corner to increase flow. I have two heaters in the tank (im going external after xmas).
I am fertilising daily using this calculator http://blog.fluidsensoronline.com/calculators/estimative-index/
its 150ml a day for micro and macro 5 x a week from a 500ml container.
I change 1/3 of the water once a week.
I carried out a water test 2 weeks ago and every thing was almost 0.
My main questions are some of the plants arnt doing great (i know its early and some will die etc) but from what I am doing is this right/wrong, what could/should I be doing differently.
Also im starting to get some algae, brown algae on the glass and some thing on the rocks wood and on the stargrass (that's what i think its called)

any help would be great and if you have any opinions on the tank please comment.
iqgl3zXfj

f0nx79PDj

1UYZCj.jpg

ip4SqOoYj

eyH1VNBPj

iqnzUx8Wj

exRGFo77j

aaron

Hi firstly I'd say the lighting period ie I would lose the morning one personally. Also turn at least 3 of those t5's off that's a lot of light you have if I've read correctly. Cheers kirk.

Thanks for the reply. I've only started doing this since I've had this new set up. How much lighting do you think I should be running?

If turned two of the tubes off so I'll see what effect that has and I'm going to increase the water changes. It's not looking too bad, it just could be a bit better, but it is early days. Cheers for the help

The APS external filters are in reality about half the LPH that they advertise. So you have about 1000 LPH turnover in a 300 litre tank.

I have about 2500 lph turnover in a 125 litre tank. In a tank your size, I would want at least 5000 lph turnover.

Yep, you're gonna need to invest in a much bigger filter.

Are most filters like that. I was looking at the eheim 350t with the built in heater or would I need to go bigger than this?

APS are notorious for lying about lph! Eheim calculate the filters lph with media in, so are much more accurate. My Eheim 1250 lph is considerably more powerful than my APS 1400, both with the same amount of media.

What lph is the Eheim rated for? If I were you I would be looking at a 5000 lph filter. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Then you can get rid of the powerheads too.

I've had a look and it's not even close to 5000 I think if I'm going to get close to thank I'm going to have to run two filters I think.

Back