• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Whats this algae?

It isn't just the drug residue which is the cause of the increase in antibiotic resistance. Your tank will contain a multitude of potentially dangerous bacteria such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Those bacteria will now contain a mutation that allows them to survive and to reproduce even when exposed to Eryhromycin. They will pass this trait to their offspring, which leads to the evolution of a fully resistant colony. It's the low doses, not enough to kill the colony, which causes the problem.

Hi all,
I got the impression that where there is no silica, diatoms are unable to build a frustule? So if we eliminate silica from our tank then the diatoms will literally starve to death.
The frustule is built from silicon (Si), but the Diatom can only extract the silicon from "orthosilicic acid" (H4SiO4), and these silicic acids are formed by the acidification of silicate salts (such as sodium silicate) in aqueous solution.

In the case of silicon it is inert when it is in the structural form of silicon oxides or "silica". Silicon dioxide (SiO2) is "quartz", one of the hardest naturally occurring minerals and a major constituent of rocks that are, in some cases, billions of years old. It isn't only the quartz in sand and rocks that builds up in large amounts because of the combination of hardness and insolubility, the diatom frustules themselves built up in huge layers to form the Moler clay that is used for "Tesco lightweight cat litter", and as a substrate in many of our tanks.

Having said all that Diatoms are actually incredibly good at extracting silica from water, and realistically it is almost impossible to get the level low enough to become a factor. There is an explanation here:
<http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/combining-chemical-filtration-media.20015/>.

You can think of silicon as a bit like nitrogen, when nitrogen is as a gas molecule (N2) it is inert, but if you can add enough energy to split the extremely strong triple bond between atoms, the nitrogen atoms are then highly reactive and can form a whole range of compounds.
It isn't just the drug residue which is the cause of the increase in antibiotic resistance. Your tank will contain a multitude of potentially dangerous bacteria such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Those bacteria will now contain a mutation that allows them to survive and to reproduce even when exposed to Eryhromycin. They will pass this trait to their offspring, which leads to the evolution of a fully resistant colony. It's the low doses, not enough to kill the colony, which causes the problem
That is the one. Have a look at: <http://www.wired.com/2011/11/running-antibiotics-europe/#more-86894>.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
If I add excel direcrly on the algae will it kill it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It isn't just the drug residue which is the cause of the increase in antibiotic resistance. Your tank will contain a multitude of potentially dangerous bacteria such as Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Those bacteria will now contain a mutation that allows them to survive and to reproduce even when exposed to Eryhromycin. They will pass this trait to their offspring, which leads to the evolution of a fully resistant colony. It's the low doses, not enough to kill the colony, which causes the problem.

sound like sic fi movie, I'll warn my petunias :rolleyes:

Back