• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's wrong with this fish????

Very likely just one of those things - fish may suffer tumours & misc. cancers as well as various states of infection (bacterial & viral) that can cause "swelling" (also "eggbound" if female) so I'd not dwell on it ... OTOH anytime that I notice fish feeling a bit under the weather etc, I increase water change frequency, doing a large water change the same day/night if possible.

In general our tanks are always a bit more "polluted" than any wild habitat, also greater fish density & a mix of fishes confined to a small area whose behaviours may be stressful ... so water change is always a great start to sorting any fish health issues.

Observed behaviour in video is pretty typical for fish in (most likely terminal) distress

Very likely just one of those things - fish may suffer tumours & misc. cancers as well as various states of infection (bacterial & viral) that can cause "swelling" (also "eggbound" if female) so I'd not dwell on it ... OTOH anytime that I notice fish feeling a bit under the weather etc, I increase water change frequency, doing a large water change the same day/night if possible.

In general our tanks are always a bit more "polluted" than any wild habitat, also greater fish density & a mix of fishes confined to a small area whose behaviours may be stressful ... so water change is always a great start to sorting any fish health issues.

Observed behaviour in video is pretty typical for fish in (most likely terminal) distress

This.

I'd say it looks most like a bacterial infection, water changes are the best defence; you may also consider treating for parasites as a safety net, in case you have some lurking behind the scenes

Would agree with Alto on this one . As long as you are keeping up with tank maintenance,That your water parameters are fine and only housing suitable tank mates and feeding the correct food for the particular species you are keeping there's not a lot more you can do. Every one keeping fish has or will experience this situation at some time.:(

It's pretty much a guess what caused it. Could be tumour as suggested because its just on one side. The other option is worms, internal parasites. I would ignore it for now....but if another fish dies with the same symptoms in the next months its most certainly parasites. They can carry those for months and even a year or more without dying. It becomes terminal when they are stressed and can't fight it off any longer.

Back