• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Sphaerichthys?

alto

IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Files are way to big, massive apologies - hopefully a moderator can fix!

Attack of the GIANT fish :eek: :eek: :eek:

S vaillanti is my guess as well but they shipped in as S acrostoma

- which were actually initially identified as "regular" chocolates S ophromenoides shipping as substitute on the originally ordered S vailllanti
:confused:
yet?

But then the invoice identified the fish as S acrostoma (which some of the arrived fish may well be, I didn't look all that closely at the remaining fish - I only had a small Q tank so I selected smaller fish :) )

vaillanti & acrostoma are both paternal mouthbrooders & much more similar in shape than osphromenoides/selatenensis so when I looked at those plain pale fish, I assumed they were correctly labelled & almost picked up only a few o_O but then decided maybe they'd be less shy in a larger group ...

As they've settled they are bolder than S osphromenoides, tank only receives ambient light & I usually just feed & have minimal interactions with newly arrived fish

I only "know" either fish from photos/video, these guys are pretty young (2 - 2.5 cm SL) so I've been wondering - do I just have fabulously adjusted S acrostoma with a bit more color re locational variant???
- that distinct blue sheen has only become apparent in the last day or 2 ... and maybe it's my over zealous imagination :oops:

S. Acrostoma don't have the vertical bar present between the dorsal and caudal fin as present on some of the fish in your pictures male S. Vaillanti do.As far as I am aware only female S.vaillanti have the vertical bars running the width of the body. It appears that Vaillanti females can vary considerably in colour and intensity from location to location and depending on other factors like age, aquarium conditions but still have the distinctive bars. That's not to say that there weren't some Acrostoma mixed up with Vaillanti but all your fish look like both sexes of Vaillanti to me. Hope they do well for you .

Sent from my SM-G925F

Thanks for confirming what I wanted to hear :D

All the fish that I see look to be vaillanti
Fortunately the group photo failed to load - it was even more massive than the above 2 :lol:

At least those photos are smaller but expected them to display in a stacked array rather than side by side
- obviously need to sort out my technique :rolleyes:

Back