• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Whitespot

simon Coram

im in the process off treating whitespot noticed small white specs last Monday so got the treatment straight away after the second dose they are all clear third due tomorrow. Instructions say give one more dose after spots disappear.
Being it's a 14 day cycle for the whitespot is it better to run a full 14 course to blitz the little blighters through the free swimming stage when they hatch back out.
Can I do a mid term water change or just leave it till it's all done in another week and a half.

Just put the third dose in all spots gone. Used king british med bottle nearly gone got a large bottle off protozin, lfs was closing down so got it cheap.
Do i carry on dosing for the entire 14 day cycle using the new stuff or use the last off my kb stuff. The kb british stuff reckons one dose after spots have gone I've done 2 now.

Thanks I went out and got some more off the kb stuff to carry on the full 14 cycle with the same meds. It's amazing how long two weeks take

Please do water changes during medication treatments - I'm baffled why manufacturers/retailers began putting this No Water Change protocol on their products (except to make their product seem easy to use :rolleyes:) - it is very much not the standard protocol as developed by veterinary/aquaculture research labs

Water changes can remove disease vectors that are not susceptible to the medications, eg, with whitespot only the free-swimming stage is affected by ich medications ... daily water changes & debris removal & substrate etc vacuuming can reduce the # of "cysts", excellent water quality is always a positive factor for fish (re possible stress in case of medication effects on filter bacteria, also reduction of secondary infection organisms)
Fish do demonstrate an immune response to "ich" organisms, so "treating" to reduce potential stressors is beneficial :)

Back