• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nematodes - where the hell did they come from

sr20det

My tank what 3-4 weeks old now. Only snails, and they the only additions I have made of late, but I have never really looked for them. Found some snail eggs in tank, and whilst scoping them out saw these tiny 1-2mm white worm creatures on glass and soon looked like they were gliding through water like a worm.

How the Hell did that happen. Are they hosted in snails or something?

Would a young guppy take care of them?

Could place a guppy or two in tank as main tank has loads of fry.

More looking see most or bulk of the population are at the surface around surface scum or the waterline between glass and surface. So tiny/thin my eyes struggle, hence I think guppy fry would be better then adult fish who would most likely ignore I would have thought.

Added two fry from my main tank, and within an hour they picking them out one by one. After a few hours actually plucking them off the glass. Win. Free food. Hopefully a week or two should do it.

Yeah, weird crap like worms and copepods always turn up when I'm setting up a new tank. Who knows how they get in. When I rescaped my main tank I was in the garden attaching moss to manzi wood. Moss was sitting in a bowl of tap water. An hour later I noticed loads of planaria in the bowl :wideyed: Still don't know how that happened.

TBH the only reason I put fish in my office tank was because the glass was covered in little white creatures. Fish wiped them out in a couple of days. Took the fish out on a Friday and came back Monday to find the glass crawling again.

hotweldfire said:
Yeah, weird crap like worms and copepods always turn up when I'm setting up a new tank. Who knows how they get in. When I rescaped my main tank I was in the garden attaching moss to manzi wood. Moss was sitting in a bowl of tap water. An hour later I noticed loads of planaria in the bowl :wideyed: Still don't know how that happened.

TBH the only reason I put fish in my office tank was because the glass was covered in little white creatures. Fish wiped them out in a couple of days. Took the fish out on a Friday and came back Monday to find the glass crawling again.

Hope they kinda go, as I dont fancy keeping fish in there permanantly. I hear nematodes live within the subtrate in which case dwarf corys could have been useful.

Back