• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shallow - The Future?

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Shallow, wide, braceless, rimless tanks have been popular with reefers, especially in Japan for a few years now. Amano's used them too in a few layouts. But I've never seen one in the UK until recently.

4830685507_9fdfb97d07_z.jpg

In opti-white they look amazing. And they make perfect sense for the aquascaping enthusiast. All that extra depth to play with to get the best views possible. The fish love it too, with better oxygen exchange and more surface area to swim about.

4831300612_18935a17fd_z.jpg

Last week I aquascaped this tank for PFK's Jeremy Gay. I'm not allowed to show any aquascape photos or tell you what we put in there but from these photos you can get a rough idea of the dimensions - 80 x 30H x 60 cm. That's 60cm front to back and just 30cm tall!

4830685975_f17b6a5981_z.jpg

Perfect for growing emergent plants, protruding wood etc. Even exposed rockwork perhaps. And they're so easy to maintain too. With long tweezers and scissors you hardly need to get your hands wet! These types of tanks really do open up a whole new world of potential when compared with regular dimensions.

For instance there's a completely new aquascape viewable from the side, with a 60 x 30H cm viewing window.

Sure, you can achieve this with a cube but another advantage of a shallow tank is that water circulation becomes less of an issue and you can run lower lighting than usual to achieve nice carpets and/or compact plant growth.

In fact I don't really see many downsides, except for more evaporation and some fish may spook with such an open expanse above, depending on your planting and decor design. Maybe they may not fit well into some cramped living spaces, I guess.

I think this style of aquarium has the potential to do really well with aquascaping enthusiasts and I am certainly considering one myself.

This tank (excluding cabinet) wasn't too expensive either costing around £120 from UKAPS Sponsors, Aquariums Ltd.

I'd be interested to hear what you think. Would you consider a shallow and wide tank?

wow, that opens up so many scaping ideas with those measurements.
Me Loving Moss balls and Anubias, would have loads of fun scpaing something with those and nice big peices of wood. Huge span of Flattened moss Balls, or like TGm's HC Carpet.

George Farmer said:
I'm not allowed to show any aquascape photos or tell you what we put in there but from these photos you can get a rough idea of the dimensions - 80 x 30H x 60 cm.

now I thought my wife could tease, but blimey mate!...you've just won hands down! :lol:

it does look a great tank :wideyed: .

us mere mortals wouldn't get it for that price though.

George Farmer said:
Would you consider a shallow and wide tank?

indeed. Often when i do water changes, the whole perspective changes when the water level is down 50%

It'd bring challenges for sure, but the overall look would be impressive. The depth is what interest me a lot.

I really like it but I think i'd want a little bit more height, panoramic tanks don't win me over as much as tonnes of depth does.

Which would be a breath taker I'm sure, I've seen a few coral trays go on ebay recently one of which was 120cm x 50cmx 110cm wide! Imagine what you could do with that!

If this tank were mine I'd have gone for 35-42cm sort of region, like I say it's a bit less panoramic and easier for the eye to read. That said, if you ignore the tanks golden ratio and use the hardscapes pinacles then you can have a higher focal point that would minimise the stretching effect of it being so shallow.

As nice as it looks, I have had a 30cm high aquarium (60x30x30) for years, and with the substrate, 20cm just isn't enough for stem plants, I have tried many stems and none have grown out of the top, they just go right across the surface. Obviously plant choice would be critical.

I always thought that 60x30x36H was a good size, with enough height for stems and a good sized window from the front.

More depth in an aquarium is always better, but intrudes far more into a living space than height and width, (in a traditional setting, i.e. along a wall).

Just my thoughts :thumbup:

I'd love a tank like that when I finally get a 'real' tank. :lol:

Also had a thought that the dimensions are better for mimicking the shallow stream biotopes of a lot of fish and inverts we see in planted tanks, almost like a true 'slice' of nature. It also lends itself to the sort of wabi kusa style scaping I'm intrested in.

Or even imagine an Iwagumi but with tall rocks breaking the surface! So many opportunities for a new wave in original scaping

£120 for something that size and quality is a great price! Bet you'd get stung for a cabinet to match though?

PM said:
As nice as it looks, I have had a 30cm high aquarium (60x30x30) for years, and with the substrate, 20cm just isn't enough for stem plants, I have tried many stems and none have grown out of the top, they just go right across the surface. Obviously plant choice would be critical.

I always thought that 60x30x36H was a good size, with enough height for stems and a good sized window from the front.

More depth in an aquarium is always better, but intrudes far more into a living space than height and width, (in a traditional setting, i.e. along a wall).

Just my thoughts :thumbup:
All good point worth considering, PM. Thanks for sharing. :D

PM said:
It's an amazing price considering a 10x8x8 inch is £100 ;)

DIY cabinets all the way for me :)

I doubt I'd get that for £123, this is the problem with not having a proper pricelist and giving everyone private quotes. :rolleyes:
We're in danger of going off-topic here. Any issues with sponsors should be done privately, as per the UKAPS rules.

NeilW said:
I'd love a tank like that when I finally get a 'real' tank. :lol:

Also had a thought that the dimensions are better for mimicking the shallow stream biotopes of a lot of fish and inverts we see in planted tanks, almost like a true 'slice' of nature. It also lends itself to the sort of wabi kusa style scaping I'm intrested in.

Or even imagine an Iwagumi but with tall rocks breaking the surface! So many opportunities for a new wave in original scaping

£120 for something that size and quality is a great price! Bet you'd get stung for a cabinet to match though?
All great ideas, Neil! Go for it mate! :D

Back