• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stu's ADA Mini M nano - updated pics, page 12

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
time for a new journal :)

Ive been buying bits for a new Nano since Christmas. A Mini M Cube Garden tank on the last ADA shipment then recently a Solar Mini light to go with it. Since then ive been lucky enough to be sponsored by TGM to do a full ADA nano scape to be used for their step-by-step guides so the other day I picked up the following to begin a new scape

Tank: ADA Cube Garden Mini M - 36x22x26cm / 5mm optiwhite glass
Hardscape: ADA Yamaya Rock, ADA Hornwood
Co2: Pressurised via Do!Aqua Music Glass - Mini 10D, Music Counter and ADA grey parts set
Lighting: ADA Mini-M - Solar 27W light
Filtration: Fluval 205 external to
Outlet - Do!Aqua Violet Glass mini MP-1 10D
Inlet - Do!Aqua Violet Glass mini MV-1 13D
Heating: None yet as its in a centrally heated room. I may add an inline heater in the winter
Substrate: ADA Power Sand Special topped with ADA Africana Powder - Penac P & W and tourmaline for good measure
Ferts per day: ADA Step 1 and Brighty K
Critters: Red Cherry Shrimp, fish undecided yet
plants to include - Ferns, tennelus, hairgrass, fissidens, mosses, Bolbitus and a carpet of Elatine Hyropiper

Heres a quick preview of all the kit that will go in

5864407162_981b24708a_b.jpg
mini-m-1 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Ive laid out a scape already which I think looks good and will post some pics when I put it back together again, hopefully in the right order!

Re: Stu's ADA Mini M nano

SteveUK said:
:woot:
I need the drool smiley! Should be a stunning scape Stu :)
Im hoping steve. The hardscape ive picked up is top knotch. took a whole lot of hunting through bins of wood to find the four that slotted together perfectly.

One of the "horns" had a slightly flat end so Ill be shaping it to a point with my Bonsai tools. Ill put some pictures up of the process
Tony Swinney said:
Very nice kit Stu :) I look forward to seeing the scape, especially the hornwood on the Africana - the colours should look great. I'll be posting a journal for my mini-m over the weekend ;)

Tony
Good stuff tony, Looking forward to seeing it :) Ive not used Africana before as its always been Amazonia in my tanks so Im looking forward to the change.

Tom said:
Right, that's it my Mini M is coming down!! :lol:
Get out Tom :) yours has a whole load of growing time on mine.

Just need to get the IAPLC picture for the 90cm tank out of the way so I can pinch some ferms out of it :D

Tom said:
Haha, no it will stay running until it's spotless.

I'll be interested to see how the Africana compares to Malaya in terms of cloudiness and crumbliness. I was planning to use either of those next time around.
Me too on the difference. Ive just updated my post to say its Powder that im using in the scape. The first bag I opened came out pretty well with no dust so its travelled well in the pack.

Im going to test the outlets with the fluval tonight to see how much flow the tank gets when its empty. should be interesting and hopefull not too powerful as I dont want so much flow that it scrapes all the plants off the substrate!

:D:D:D that's crazy!

There must be a grands worth of kit there right?

I'm sure your make good use of it. I had a 105 with the same glassware and the flow was good, slightly smaller tank, if I was to set it back up I'd get a 205 I think.

nayr88 said:
:D:D:D that's crazy!

There must be a grands worth of kit there right?

I'm sure your make good use of it. I had a 105 with the same glassware and the flow was good, slightly smaller tank, if I was to set it back up I'd get a 205 I think.
Im sure there is nearly that but ive not totalled it all up. Thats good to know on the filter side. I got the fluval second hand with no instructions but it looks like you can turn the flow down on the top if its too much. Testing begins tonight!

LondonDragon said:
Nice kit, look forward to your new journal :) I am sure another master piece ;)
Thanks Paulo, no pressure then :lol:

I can't wait for this top get under way, it's gonna be so awesome! :D

When you said you were sponsored to do this, do you mean that it has been free of charge on your behalf? I would kill to get a free ADA set-up.

Yeah mate you can turn the flow up and down, using the silver handle. :)

I can't stop staring at the picture haha. Cannot wait for my tgm visit

That's a lovely set of goodies for a great start stu. :angelic:
I am sure will be awesome in your control. :thumbup:

Africana is pretty good. Water is super clear in the gallery where we're using it. Did not had any problem from the start. No algae and crystal clear water. Powder was a perfect choice for this tank becasue of its size. :thumbup:

I never used the Yamaya stones. They looks very good, however i concern how they will work together with the Africana soil color. We do used Seiryu on our Africana tank and they not blend with the soil. Of course if the soil will be fully covered with plant this will be not an issue.

You can see the Seiryu / Africana thing on my earlier shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktorlant ... otostream/
on the right hand side.

Gill said:
OMG that is going to be stunning. I love the Ligth Unit
Thanks Gill
viktorlantos said:
That's a lovely set of goodies for a great start stu. :angelic:
I am sure will be awesome in your control. :thumbup:

Africana is pretty good. Water is super clear in the gallery where we're using it. Did not had any problem from the start. No algae and crystal clear water. Powder was a perfect choice for this tank becasue of its size. :thumbup:

I never used the Yamaya stones. They looks very good, however i concern how they will work together with the Africana soil color. We do used Seiryu on our Africana tank and they not blend with the soil. Of course if the soil will be fully covered with plant this will be not an issue.

You can see the Seiryu / Africana thing on my earlier shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktorlant ... otostream/
on the right hand side.
Thanks for the info on the stones Viktor. When I tried out a test scape at TGM it looked like anice match but of course this was dry and not underwater. However if the carpet works then it will be covered. Its the first time Ive used Yamaya and it will be small chunks underneath the wood to looks like scree.

Mark Evans said:
nice one stu!

top notch gear, for a potential top notch scape! :thumbup:
Thanks Mark :thumbup:
nayr88 said:
Yeah mate you can turn the flow up and down, using the silver handle. :)

I can't stop staring at the picture haha. Cannot wait for my tgm visit
Great stuff, thanks for the advice

George Farmer said:
Lovely kit that will no doubt turn into a lovely creation!

Congrats on the sponsorship deal too.
Cheers George. Im really exited to get it going :)

Zerocon said:
I can't wait for this top get under way, it's gonna be so awesome! :D

When you said you were sponsored to do this, do you mean that it has been free of charge on your behalf? I would kill to get a free ADA set-up.
The top half of the picture is stuff Ive bought aside from the soil. The stuff in the bottom of the picture has been provided by TGM for me to do the step-by-step and then I get to keep it.
sanj said:
Ive been buying bits for a new Nano since Christmas

You are sensible... I should learn from you, Id have bought it all in one go telling myself how essential it was and then end up in debt.
Lol! dribs and drabs has been the order of the day sanj :)

ive been setting stuff up tonight but had a slight problem in that one of my studio flash bulbs has died :( Ive started improvising with two canon flashes but they are slightly limited when used over a cable connection :(

flaming none at the moment :( I got really busy, broke a studio light and had to do my IAPLC shot for my 90cm tank over the weekend so that took over. Ill be back on it friday night though hopefully and ive got a test hardscape in the tank at the moment which ill post some pics of :)

Back