• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90 gallon planted aquarium

andy

New tank has been up and running for 3 weeks now and to say im pleased is an understatement.

Specs are as follows

57" x 24" (h) x 19" (w) custom made tank to fit in alcove
6 x 48", 36w T8 tubes (grolux, powerglo, floraglo, triplus and 2 skywhite 6500k tubes)
2" potting compost and 2" playpit sand as substrate
pressurised CO2 with solenoid
temp is 78f
bogwood and a couple of rocks as decor

fish are a mix of

Rummynoses
Cardinals
Harliquins
Congo tetras
Bolivian rams
Female fighters
Rosy barbs
Hoplo cat
whiptail cat
plec
a few other random fish

Here's some pics...not great due to poxy little camera and bad relections but they'll do.

This is the tank when i first set it up on April 11th

Pic093.jpg

And this is today, 3 weeks later

Pic008.jpg

Few more.....Limnophilla Aromatica....my favourite at the moment

Pic004.jpg

Alternanthera behind the lilly

Pic005-1.jpg

Uknown plant....any ideas ?

Pic006-1.jpg

Another one of the full tank

Pic002-1.jpg

Hi nice tank,plant looks ludwigia repens,if it turns red then it's the rubin variety,
Regards john.

Bit of an update and some new pics. Added some Rotala Indica to the rear far right so that will compliment the bright green Ludwigia. On the far left, ive had to cut back the Limnophylla so that'll come up soon.

Also added a new CO2 diffuser....one of those little glass jobbies with the porous membrane instead of the old Hagen ladder. This new one produces a steady stream of micro CO2 bubbles which are placed under the flow of a small internal filter. Seems ok at the moment.

All in all, im pretty chuffed with things, the colours are vibrant and plant growth good.

Lid and cabinet hopefully to be built soon :rolleyes:

Pic011-1.jpg

Pic012-3.jpg

Pic013-2.jpg

Pic014-2.jpg

Thanks George

Here's what's in there

Pic011-2.jpg

1) Limnophylla aromatica

2) just at the back, you can see the tips of Althernanthera poking through....my one disaster placing a red plant infront of a huge red Nymphaea

3) Ludwigia (pulustris ?)

4) Rotala Indica....just planted

5) Crypt Pontederifolia (one of my faves)

6) Blyxa Japonica.....just planted

7) Crypt species 9may have to come out as getting too tall

8) Anubias nana 'petite'

9) Sagittaria nantans

10) Anubias Barteri (on bogwood)

11) Large red Nymphaea species

Now that's my kind of tank! Looks great.

What ferts are you dosing (sorry if you mentioned this earlier, but I can't see it).

I dose Nutrafin plant gro once a week. it's a fairly new tank and has a high fish load so there's probably a lot of nutrients in there anyway. But whatever i dose, it seems to work.

Thanks for the comments....more pics as things develop.

Andy

Need some inspiration. The plants look superb but i think the tank needs a bit of structure. Therefore, in the pic below, i've indicated where i'd like a largeish piece of that redmoor type root. Currently, there's two rocks there but you can't see them because of the crypts (no 7 in the pic) is hiding them.

Do you think this will give a bit of "je ne sais quoi" to the tank ?

many thanks

Pic014-3.jpg

A hood?
Aquascape wise I think something like spiral vallis would be nice... I'll admit it's not really my kind of scape. There's a dutch aquascape gallery I've seen somewhere that might help your ideas, I'll try and find it for you.

Garuf said:
A hood?
Aquascape wise I think something like spiral vallis would be nice... I'll admit it's not really my kind of scape. There's a dutch aquascape gallery I've seen somewhere that might help your ideas, I'll try and find it for you.

The hood will be made in a few weeks Garuf :lol: ....the few bits of wood i need will cost £70 to make it mate as i want it right !!!!!!

I know that this kind of setup is not to everyone's taste but i just think it needs something that stands out as a feature but without it being another plant (as the lilly is already a big feature)

Your input is well appreciated though...thanks

Andy

Garuf said:
I'd have just used marine ply...

yeah...but this is to be a piece of furniture in our lounge and marine ply would look crap. The tank cost £250, the building work to open up the alcove cost £500 and im going to now need a new floor at £500...so cheap isn't an option :lol:

Back