• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 01/03/2013

How did you get the (forgive my ignorance) tall grassy plant to all bend the same way, as isnt the flow going in the opposite direction?

jojouk said:
How did you get the (forgive my ignorance) tall grassy plant to all bend the same way, as isnt the flow going in the opposite direction?

LOL. No, the flow if you look carefully is at the forefront of the tank going from left to right. It would then hit the other side and come back in the opposite direction along the back of the tank.

Re: Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 11/12/12

This looks great andy, really really nice. I agree with Ian's comments and like how your always tweaking.

Just a quick one, what are you thoughts on your cpds, behaviour wise etc?? Do they leave the shrimp alone and which levels of the tank do they prefer to stay at. Would like a good 30 of these for my new puddle journal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. No, the flow if you look carefully is at the forefront of the tank going from left to right. It would then hit the other side and come back in the opposite direction along the back of the tank.

Nearly right i use the same product as Jedward use in their hair!

No Antipofish is right the flow runs round the tank and creates this pleasing look. It needs thinning out a bit now as its getting quite dense.

Re: Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 11/12/12
This looks great andy, really really nice. I agree with Ian's comments and like how your always tweaking.
Just a quick one, what are you thoughts on your cpds, behaviour wise etc?? Do they leave the shrimp alone and which levels of the tank do they prefer to stay at. Would like a good 30 of these for my new puddle journal
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Alastair, Thanks for the comments. The CPDS are an intriguing fish for me, they swin mostly at mid level and hide a lot, a large shoal encourages them to cruise the tank. They like nothing better than hiding in densly planted parts of the tank. I have at least 15 but generally only see small groups of 5 or so at any one time. With regards the shrimp, i reckon a fully grown CPDS could see a baby shrimp as a tasty snack. But i havent experienced that yet. They seem to be getting along well, the tank is well planted so the shrimps have plenty of cover.

Fantastic looking tank fella .
Thanks Pancho!

So the new plants are growing quick and i reckon the R.Wallichii is going to need a prune soon. Not done this before anybody got any specific advice on this plant.......

Also thanks for all the comments lately, its given me real motivation to keep my journal up to date....

What's the latest on this Andy? Rotala looks quality when the reddy pink tinge kicks in!!

Agree with everything Little-AL said :thumbup:

Great tank!
How do you manage to keep the pink colour in the plants? and stop your grasses from tangling, mine looks like what you would pull out of a hairbrush!

What's the latest on this Andy? Rotala looks quality when the reddy pink tinge kicks in!!
Currently its growing really well, and is maintaining its pink tinge well. Its now at the stage were i want to give it a trim back to the gravel, but it fills me with dread as what happens if it doesn't come back as good!
Looks brilliant!
Cheers
I love it!
Glad you like it mate
Really loving this, looks so clean! Nice plant choices and a great fish choice too :)
Inspired by it!
Glad its inspiration, exactly what UKAPS is all about, the likes of Graeme, George, Dan, Mark (or Saintly as he was back then!) and Stu got me hooked:clap:

Agree with Little-Al looking really nice, really like the tall grass at the back (i don't know the names of plants just yet but im learning slow lol)
Hey if you want to know any plant names please ask, the tall grass at the back is Eleocharis Acicularis. I purchased it from The Green Machine as part of their exceptional value range. Only £3.25 a pot! I only used one pot to create this effect. Its easy to grow likes medium light and CO2. Pruning is easy, you just cut it to the level you want and off it goes.
Agree with everything Little-AL said :thumbup:
Cheers Dude!
Great tank!
How do you manage to keep the pink colour in the plants? and stop your grasses from tangling, mine looks like what you would pull out of a hairbrush!
Hello, good question. There is always much debate about what makes the plant go pink. My belief is good conditions, but many of theories seem to be based around light levels and iron. Both of which are at good levels in my tank. I dose TPN which contains Iron, but i also weekly dose ADA ECA (Iron Supplement). I am running 2 x 24w tubes 7 hrs a day about 6 inches from the water surface so its getting a fair amount of light 0.8w per litre. So i think all of this combined helps.
As for the hair grass tangling, its not in the direct flow, so it keeps itself tidy on its own.o_O

certainly is looking very healthy mate eleocharis mini is looking nice and compact have you had to trim it at all really looking good :thumbup:

The Eleo Mini, requires very little attention, its had a couple of trims to remove odd bits but not had to cut right down like with Eleo Parvula etc.

From that photo Andy, there's no disguising a very healthy looking tank of plants! Lovely detail with the stauro between the rocks. Maybe after the trim the wallichi will grow in tandem with the 1-2gro pogo and fill in that area as a whole.
really nice tank again.
cheerio,
Ady

oooh, looking good mate, you must be happy. FTS needed :)
Nice to see the wallichii doing well, ive never had much luck in the past but then i didnt really understand planted tanks then either.

edit - delete, oops im all confused with so many nice tanks around.

Back